Has Vince Cable got the right idea?

newman35 19:52 07 Mar 09
  rowdy 20:13 07 Mar 09

He does not impress at all

rowdy

last starfighter 21:14 07 Mar 09

Well "rowdy" im not so sure your totaly right there, IF a mp or public servant is contracted to a high wage then i belive Mr Gable should be addressing it with the people/dept that has negotiated that salary & not so much the person in question, its becoming somewhat of a regular thing hearing councils strapped for cash & cost cutting measures taken place, when there is a view that high paid persons should have a reduction to a more reasonable wage.

Stuartli 21:27 07 Mar 09

Vince Cable (not Gable!) has generally expressed more common sense views than most politicians on financial matters in recent times.

His only regret, I would suspect, is that he's a member of a party that is regarded as carrying very little weight or influence at House of Commons level.

By the way, most Premiership footballers earn far higher salaries than the so called "fat cats"...:-)

realist 21:44 07 Mar 09

Our County Council chief executive receives a salary in excess of £249,999 pa (i.e considerably more than the PM).

Our County Council:
- Lost £50M deposited in Icelandic banks.
- Wasted £7M on a design for an art gallery in the sea which it was impossible to build.
- Spends millions of pounds on its own TV station which is watched by hardly anyone.
- Commissioned designer lamp posts costing £7K each.

The Council has just been audited and awarded an "excellent" rating, presumably by the same people who audited the Banks!

Grey Goo 21:48 07 Mar 09

Some call Vince Cable the best Chancellor we never had.

last starfighter 22:07 07 Mar 09

I like Mr Cable, I like his spontaneousness whilst live on camera, he always seems to know the answer, Id MUCH prefer him in Mr Browns shoes,

mind you mr brown I now believe has so much pressure at him & I do feel for him cause it’s what one could say ONE of the most challenging Prime Minister roles there has ever been at this current time so you have to show some consideration for him although I don’t support his party.

Stuartli 00:13 08 Mar 09

Why?

He nominated himself for the position.

newman35 00:34 08 Mar 09

I,too, have always found it hard to understand why a 'top-man' in a local council has to be paid more than the man who is 'top-man' of the whole UK government.
Earnings of sports people/entertainers is a different matter, we have individual direct control over whether we pay to watch them or not.
But heads of public bodies are installed for us, and by local government standards have little accountability.

JYPX 00:35 08 Mar 09

Yes - he has the right idea.
The public's anger about a whole range of crazy salaries paid by me and you is going to heat up as the year progresses.
For example if I was getting paid £1.5 million to present a late night football highlights tv show I might be getting a bit concerned.

newman35 00:43 08 Mar 09

Nobody stood against him, which suggests the rest of his party were OK with it. Anyone standing for office has to 'nominate' themselves, surely?

last starfighter's point that he is in a situation very few other leaders have been in (around the world!). Accepting that the whole crisis could not have been his own individual fault, then he does deserve some understanding - even the Tories have been saying it's difficult for him at present, and are supporting many of his policies. (And I've never voted Labour in my life - in case you think it sounds like a party political broadcast!!).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…