Has Speakers Corner angst been transplanted?

anskyber 12:57 07 Oct 11
Answered

To the comments area of the PCA site.

I have noticed for some time that the exchanges generated by reader comments have become hot even offensive at times. This rather subdued exchange about the iPhone4S is a lesser example but it makes the point.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/mobile-phone/3308499/apple-iphone-4s-review/

Speakers Corner has quietened down noticeably since I returned to its shores after an absence. Perhaps our well respected FE should transfer his skills to the comments area of the site?

lotvic 13:25 07 Oct 11

Tame stuff that :) You want an example of angst? see the post on September 26, 2011 at 6:32PM on ThisThread in the helproom..... !

Aitchbee 18:04 07 Oct 11

...you think that's bad, in Afghanistan you can get the jail for whistling a tune....

Forum Editor 18:34 07 Oct 11

Regardless of what we do in terms of providing content in other areas of the site, there will always be those who seem to revel in offloading a bit of angst.

That's OK - we're grown-ups, and from what I can see in the exchanges in your link, Matt seems to have handled the situation as well as anyone could. We don't kid ourselves that what we do here is perfect, but we do our best to satisfy all sections of our readership for at least a good part of the time.

lotvic 23:08 07 Oct 11

My link doesn't show the post now - FE must have deleted it (thank goodness for that, it was a bit 'ripe')

Forum Editor 10:38 08 Oct 11

lotvic

Yes, it crossed the line by a mile.

Crosstrainer2 10:44 08 Oct 11

One thing is certain. PCA has always been a friendly site. Now and then some angst is bound to creep in, but if you really want spleen venting and downright rudeness, some of the Mac sites are very badly moderated. You can be slated for ignorance simply asking a question.

I think the FE does a great job here, and it's a nice place to be.

Aitchbee 10:54 08 Oct 11

I'll second Crosstrainer2's sentiments. I had a look at my friend's personal social networking site, yesterday , it's the famous one, and it was riddled with sweary words...which I don't like.I am not a prude...but a bit of decorum is required.This site is excellent...and the diligence of 'the respected forum members' and forum editor is excemplary.

anskyber 17:06 08 Oct 11

fourm members views are really what I was getting at. Things are good here but elsewhere it is less so.

Matt did indeed do a good job and was rather more patient than I would have been particularly when his views made complete sense.

morddwyd 17:10 08 Oct 11

It's not so much the angst that is missing, but the "lively and thought-provoking debate".

There have always been light hearted threads (tinned tomatoes!) but now every attempt to introduce a serious point is quickly reduced to inanity and farce.

No doubt the FE and others who have been around as long will see it as a simple cyclical thing, but for me the site is a shadow of its former self

Aitchbee 17:22 08 Oct 11

morddwyd - compared to (some) other networking websites, PCA 'Speakers Corner' is in the 'upper echelon'...along with all of the other PCA forums.Not everybody is as quick-witted as you...or me! (JOKE)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now