Has Sony lost it?

LastChip 10:43 26 Nov 06

A while back, Sony was heavily criticised for using root kits embedded in DVD's. More recently, they face a multi-million dollar bill for battery replacements in laptops. Now they have announced some of their camera CCD's (charge-coupled devices) are likely to fail.

What was a Worldwide respected company, has suffered quality control problems that were unthinkable for a Far East manufacturer.

I wonder if this is a symptom of a mature company that has lost its way?

lisa02 10:49 26 Nov 06

I'm thinking the same, I bought a w50 a few months back and it has been superb. I just hope that it is not affected.

Took years to build their reputation and less than a year to wipe it out.

Forum Editor 11:11 26 Nov 06

have undoubtedly damaged Sony's reputation in the market. For a long time the company had a reputation for building quality products, and that will have been badly damaged by the battery fiasco.

Japan's consumer electronics industry has been hit hard by Korean innovation, and in my opinion Sony has suffered during the 10 years the company was being run by Nobuyuki Idei. These giant electronics companies need younger management if they are to compete with some of their smaller competitors who are faster to react to technology innovations.

Time will tell, but Sony needs to put in some young, internet-aware, top management - people who will drive innovation and development at a faster pace than that which we've seen in the case of the PS3. The company also needs to remember it's a technology business, and stop buying film companies. Its acquisition of Columbia pictures in 1989 was - again in my opinion - a ludicrously silly waste of time and resources.

Sony can survive, of that I have no doubt, but it will do so only if it is prepared to think carefully about its core business, and to react rapidly in a fast-changing global market.

Belatucadrus 12:54 26 Nov 06

Wasn't that long ago they were taking flack for laptops with dodgy RAM mounts, I've felt for some time that their reputation for quality was rather more than they deserved or the price warranted.

siouxah1 20:23 26 Nov 06

This is not too new a problem. In the latter part of last year CCD errors were occuring on several models of Minolta/Konica Minolta cameras and CCDs were being replaced free of charge. These were Sony manufactured items and were faulty.

Brian

myfoot 11:26 30 Nov 06

Massive delays on release of PS3. Yeah it's a shame when a trusted brand looses its way. Too many bean counters ( apologies all accountansts) maybe it's the pressure of the stock holders. Buying into the U.S. film industry was more of it. Many tech companies are founded by engineering types, but as they grow and another generation takes over, priorities change. Mercedes suffered simalar quality issues; don't know how they are now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…