Has SciFi almost had it's day ?

Dragon_Heart 02:57 09 Jun 13

60 to 70 years ago space travel was just a dream now it common place, or at least it was until NASA got hit with spending cuts.

Star Trek, Stargate, Night Rider, $6m man etc etc in 60 or 70 years from now will there be a demand for SciFi films and TV shows ?

OK the likes of Superman, Spiderman etc may still have some appeal but we are living in yesteryears future now.

The arrival of little green or grey men on the White House Lawn may kill it dead. Wonder if they have SciFi were the monsters from space look like us ?

kad292 06:24 09 Jun 13

Sci-fi will die when our imagination runs dry,cannot see it happening though many stories are reworked for a new generation.We maybe cannot afford space travel ,even if it were possible right now, but a collective international effort to build and send a ship into space for interstellar travel may be the only means of some of our species surviving.

Quickbeam 10:37 09 Jun 13

It's alive and well. take a look at the sci-fi shelves in your local book and DVD store and the selection is is great as ever.

Forum Editor 10:53 09 Jun 13

Science fiction isn't going to die, as long as there are people who want to explore fantasy scenarios and write it. Films like Avatar demonstrate how technology can produce stunning virtual realities.

It's escapism defined, and there will always be an audience for it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:41 09 Jun 13

The gadgets we have t day are based of the scifi of yesteryear

Just look at Star Trek of the 60's

communicator = clam shell phone,

talking computers / voice activated computers, = siri I phone etc.

medical scanner = cat machine

blocks of info in-putted into computer desk = SD cards of today.

Todays scifi will influnce the gadgets of tomorrow.

Somebody in the 19th century (I think) said "all that was to be discovered had been discovered" how wrong they were.

6-70 years ago - watch one of the old films base on war time Britain and see just how much our basic lives have changed. I watched a re run of 2Life on Mars" and couldn't believe how primitive the early 70's looked.

bumpkin 14:43 09 Jun 13

Watching old Sci-Fi can be funny. I can't remember the name of the film but a guy carried around a suitcase with normal household lightbulbs on the top of it, he said it was a minature computer. Does anyone remember Orac from Blakes 7.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:38 09 Jun 13

Orac - now that was an egotstic computer :0)

Aitchbee 22:42 09 Jun 13

" Beam me up, Scotty. "

... will always be a [non-fictional] scientific impossibility ...

So, science fiction is alive and well, I reckon.

lotvic 22:50 09 Jun 13

Holly the Red Dwarf computer had Attitude.

bumpkin 00:09 10 Jun 13

Lotvic, that is the reason why we should not develop computers that can "think" or they will become as stupid as us humans.

Quickbeam 00:32 10 Jun 13

HAL had a bit of a wayward side...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…