Has the Pope put his foot in it?

Cymro. 11:40 27 Mar 09

click here

On another of today's threads on this forum I posted about the end of religious faiths. Click on the above link and read of only one good reason I think we should be glad to see an end to religion.

wee eddie 11:51 27 Mar 09

if everyone embraced Monogamy, immediately. Also if they had one sexual partner for life.

Unrealistic in the extreme.

newman35 11:58 27 Mar 09

"I posted about the end of religious faiths"

Surely more accurate to have said "My own hope of the end of religious faiths...".

If there wasn't a 'church leader' spouting his views, then I reckon other 'groups' would just take their place and then their 'leaders' would continue spouting whatever they liked. Plus ca change!
Wonder what percentage of young Catholics actually follow advice about condoms??

Cymro. 12:05 27 Mar 09

You write
"Surely more accurate to have said "My own hope of the end of religious faiths...".
Yes indeed newman35 quite right, they are indeed my own great hope.

You then go on to ask
"Wonder what percentage of young Catholics actually follow advice about condoms??"
Very few indeed I would hope!

Clapton is God 12:47 27 Mar 09

"Has the Pope put his foot in it?"

In what?

A condom?

Very unusual, if he has. ;-)

Jak_1 13:32 27 Mar 09

He's entitled to his own views I suppose, the same as everybody else even if the are still operating as if in the middle ages! Fortunately the majority of the rest of the world are somewhat more up to date with scientific evidence to the contrary of what he says! Enlightened people were using condoms even in the middle ages against the preachings of the 'Church' per se.

Clapton is God 13:53 27 Mar 09

"Enlightened people were using condoms even in the middle ages against the preachings of the 'Church'"

And some would argue that many different global religions continue to have a mind-set (and doctrines) which are still based in the Middle Ages.

DrScott 14:23 27 Mar 09

seems to have set progress back in the Vatican by about a hundred years.

Either that or the press is very selective about its reporting.

ventanas 16:12 27 Mar 09

I agree, a totally irresponsible attitude which regretfully may be followed by millions of Catholics who don't know any better.
They wonder why people don't bother any more. Perhaps if the clergy came into the real world and indentified more with the people things may be different.
I was once a Catholic, but gave it up as pure myth decades ago. Myth, by the way, includes all religions worldwide.

Jim Thing 16:27 27 Mar 09

"...if the clergy came into the real world..."

If that were ever to happen, they'd have to stop being clergy.

newman35 17:37 27 Mar 09

I think a bit of unfairness to clergy is creeping in!
The statement by the Pope well illustrates his being 'above' mere mortals and seemingly in a different world (which he is, in his Papal city).

But run-of-the-mill clergy see poverty and human frailties every working day, and most are very street-wise. Don't black all members of a profession because of one idiotic utterance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…