Has anyone been to the Eden Project?

WhiteTruckMan 13:36 12 Jul 09

Me and Mrs WTM are thinking of a short midweek break sometime this year and top of the list is a visit to the eden project

click here

I'm wondering if anyone has been to see it, and what there overall impressions were. I'm of the opinion that it might take more than one day to 'do' the place properly, especially after looking at the place on google earth. Has anyone been just for the day and felt there was more to be seen that they missed? Or did you think the whole thing was over hyped?

How did you find the pricing of things like food etc, or local facilities?

Thanks

WTM

Pine Man 14:26 12 Jul 09

I went about 4 years ago and, it's only my opinion and that of my three friends at the time, it was a bit like a big garden centre and we were not particularly impressed.

As far as pricing goes I can't remember much about it so it can't have been that expensive!

I would agree with fourm member that it's certainly only a day at the most.

jellyhead 15:16 12 Jul 09

Had a very enjoyable day there, loads of information to read as you go round or just look if you wish. If you have time on another day The Lost Gardens of Heligan click here are worth a visit and not far from The Eden Project. And in St Austell also not far away, a visit round the brewery is great way to spend a bit of time. click here

monkeyboy21 15:29 12 Jul 09

Hi,
I went earlier this year with my partner and had a thoroughly great day out. The cost is (from memory) £16 pp but you can giftaid this if a uk taxpayer which allows you to return for free for the duration of the following year. We were lucky enough to get a relatively warm day which allowed us to enjoy the outdoor displays without getting rained on as well as the Biomes. A day is about perfect, although a fair bit of walking is necessary, and the Tropical Biome is very warm and humid, so the advice about layers is good. Try to arrive early as it can get very busy, and midweek is perfect.
The price of refreshments are not too bad, however they use produce from the gardens for the ingredients so the cafe food tends to be quite tasty (had a vegetable lasagne which was the best i'd tasted). I felt it was a great experience, very good value for money and i'd thoroughly recommend it as a day out!

Regards, MB

crosstrainer 15:48 12 Jul 09

I have, and if you are a gardening person then I would recommend it.

It's a huge achievement for Cornwall, and you could go to Penance also.

rawprawn 16:09 12 Jul 09

We went while on holiday in Cornwall, and enjoyed it but we felt The lost Gardens of Heligan were just as good (not so regimented) and well worth a visit.

QuizMan 23:11 12 Jul 09

I have been there twice. Once shortly after it opened and again a couple of years ago. The change was dramatic with the plants in the various biomes starting to fiill up the space last time.

Definitely worth a visit and allow all day, but no more than that.

One tip (depending on what time of the year you visit), wear several layers of clothing and be prepared to shed them as you move around, especially when you enter the tropical zone. Well make that two tips. Get there early and be ready to need a shuttle bus as the car parks fill up quickly and many are a long way away.

As for pricing and local facilities, I do not remember being horrified about prices, but bear in mind that they have a captive audience so it will not be supermarket money. Local facilities?....it is in an old gravel pit with not much else around locally, but as others have said Cornwall is great if you have transport (which of course you do).

Enjoy.

TonyV 11:49 13 Jul 09

Like Rawprawn, above, we went a few years ago whilst on a short break in the area. We much preferred the Lost Gardens of Heligan. There were some useful areas for youngsters to play in in the Eden Project, but as whole we were quite disappointed. Some of the layouts didn't seem to represent what we thought they ought to by the title, i.e the Mediterrean Garden.

It is, never the less, worth a visit.

TonyV

TonyV 11:54 13 Jul 09

Even Mediterranean!!

TonyV

Diemmess 13:24 14 Jul 09

My wife is the expert, I just follow her lead.
Never been to Eden Project....
BUT......
Heligon would have our vote, as a thoroughly rehabilitated natural garden with all sorts to see and reasonable support facilities.

The National Botannic Garden of Wales is my preference. Excellent catering etc. Free (optional) buggy rides to save long walks over a marvellously varied site.
A large dome, formal and experimental gardens and all sorts of exhibits including an apothecary's "shop" with an emphasis on herbal medicine.
Near Carmarthen, but there must be some who prefer Wales to Cornwall.

anchor 15:55 14 Jul 09

My step daughter and her family went there about 2 years ago, and was not impressed; certainly not worth the £16 per adult admission price.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…