Harvesting addresses for SPAM

jack 20:17 16 Feb 07

How often do you hear the bleat
'I keep getting all this SPAM' where do they get my address from?

I like most of us I have a couple of contacts who simply love to send around the funnies[sometimes the rudies] and in they come just as they got
them with wads of addresses of the other recipient's and pages very often of other addresses of the person that sent it to my contact with pages.... ad nauseum.
All addresses for the harvesting thereof apart from being very untidy.

I also notice a goodly percentage are from individual at their place of work and a big percentage of that is a government office of some description
Hmmms there is some thing to say here I think apart from the obvious 'Send it tidy- edit it.
Perhaps FE may have a view on this.
j

bluto1 22:52 16 Feb 07

Some of my friends do the same. It`s as though they`ve emptied their address book into the e-mail. I sent a message to a number of friends with a request to hide recipients from each other. There is a way to do it but I cannot find the darned thing this minute. If I find it I`ll post back in the Helproom.
Apart from address books this is the other way to collect addresses.

Kate B 00:03 17 Feb 07

The way to hide a bunch of email addresses is to put them all into the bcc field.

bremner 10:24 17 Feb 07

The majority of 'email address collection' occurs through email worms.

Sensible use and good AV and Malware protection is what is needed.

Zero G 18:12 17 Feb 07

I use one email account purely for buying on the net or for getting info or free downloads from IT sites. Any other spam i get on my other account gets reported as such.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…