'Harsher terms' for death drivers...

Quickbeam 07:56 15 Jul 08

click here But we can't seem to believe knife crime warrants harsh jail terms... Why is this?

€dstowe 08:21 15 Jul 08

Where are all the jails to accommodate these offenders?

There is also a proposal to evict the families of people convicted of knife crimes thus:

"Prime Minister Gordon Brown has said more than 110,000 "problem families" will be targeted as part of government's action plan.

As many as 20,000 families could be evicted from their homes if they fail to control their children, Mr Brown said." from click here

Where is all the jail space coming from? Where are "problem families" to be placed after eviction - considering councils are obligated to provide accommodation to families? In the spare rooms of the non-existent jails?

I detect some woolly thinking here - like the daft proposal that knife attackers should see their victims being treated. I last person I would have wanted to see when I did that kind of work would have been some drinks sodden, drugged-up yob on the verge of vomiting peering over my shoulder spreading God knows what infectious agents.

jack 08:54 15 Jul 08

G Brown and co are good at that, but not much else.

Echoing €dstowe the sheer impracticalities of all the proposals will mean nothing will be done.

Evict a Family because of a wayward sibling?
Where would they go, who will accommodate them?

Also how can a 'home owning' family be evicted?.

Frog march them to an A&E dept- not likely is it?

More custodial sentences- when you have caught them that is.

More jails! That is an easy one - but not more multimillion edifices run by for profit organizations.

As in the U.S a simple razor wire tented compound
with minimal facilities- and work, hard work
- if you like in the legendary army method of keeping idle hands busy - painting white stones black and black stone white variety- 12 hours a day without respite- just go in hard.
Idea of making the assailants and/or families pay compensation to the victims may be a good ides if the individuals had an income in the first place.

laurie53 10:08 15 Jul 08

Firstly the Government does not jail people, the judiciary does, if they can be persuaded to sentence in accordance with the guidelines, which most of them don't.

Secondary, even when the judiciary do jail people the system lets them out again after a couple of months.

If anyone is jailed for, say, more than 10% less than the Government (i.e our) guidelines the reduction should be justified, in writing, to the Justice Department, and no person should be released early from custody without the written authority of the original sentencer, with, once again, the early release being justified.

Chegs ®™ 10:12 15 Jul 08

I know what these "problem families" will do once evicted,move into the private sector rented accomodation where their rents are still paid by the DHS.

Our council used to house "problem families" on one particular estate,when they ran out of available homes there the council started housing them on other estates.Result being,these areas became a hive of notoriety.The law abiding folk on these estates moved and their vacated properties were reoccupied by more "problem families"When these estates gained such a reputation that even "problem families" were refusing to move there,the council bulldozed a few of the homes and created "green spaces"

If the property is owned by a "problem family" then an eviction notice is obtained.Presently,our police are obtaining "closure notices" for homes where drug dealing has been confirmed to take place,which means nobody can live there for upto 6mths.

This announcement from the government is nothing but hot air as there are already rules inplace for dealing with "problem families" We got a heap of papers delivered from the council stating that all new tenants would be on "probation" and any trouble within the first twelve months could result in the tenancy being cancelled.

jakimo 13:21 15 Jul 08

Brown in making such statements,is hoping that the British public are naive enough to believe he is ,to quote "doing the right thing" unquote...how many times have we heard him say that over the last months.

He don't appear to have a clue on what the "right thing" to solving the yob problem is,so he just implements new laws by the bucket load knowing full well there isn't the means to back them up

Stuartli 14:34 15 Jul 08

One point about jail sentences that upsets many people is that they are never as long as the term handed down (judges do have to observe guidelines, including leniency for pleading guilty etc).

For instance a sentence of five years may be given, yet most people are aware that perhaps only half this period will be served by the offender.

Even a "life" sentence doesn't necessarily mean life, more a set minimum period.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…