Harsh Regime?

Curio 17:02 03 Aug 07

Could this work here?
click here

Cymro. 17:12 03 Aug 07

No I don`t think it would work over here. But I bet there are a few forum members who would like to see it introduced in this country.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:12 03 Aug 07

I do not see why not and it might give some prisoners an insight into repeat offending not being terribly clever.

G

mrgrockle 17:14 03 Aug 07

Sadly no.
Seems like someone would complain their Human Rights were being voliated.
But on hell of a way to run a prison though!!!

Totally-braindead 17:43 03 Aug 07

I'd vote for him. Hes got the right idea. Too much molly coddling in prisons these days in my opinion.
Particularly like the bit where he cut the cable TV off then discovered there was a federal law that said he couldn't do that so put it back on with only the Disney channel and the weather channel.
And I also liked his comment when some of the inmates complained about the heat "It's 120 degrees in Iraq and our soldiers are living in tents too, and they have to wear full battle gear, but they didn't commit any crimes, so shut your damned mouths!"

Tim1964 23:26 03 Aug 07

Excellent,

Let's get that guy over here to sort out the mess the so-called-experts have got us into.

WhiteTruckMan 23:48 03 Aug 07

now we dont have a PM married to a human rights lawyer (I think!)

Problem with replicating that is that it would cost a fortune to heat a jail to those sort of temperatures

WTM

Chegs ®™ 07:55 04 Aug 07

I like that mans methods,use them here by all means but adapt them to suit our cooler weather.Instead of pink underwear,give them hard-wearing clothing(canvas)they made themselves from redundant mailbags(as these are now plastic)Send their TV's to 3rd world countries for use in schools.I think its also been introduced that not only can free people not smoke indoors but nor can prisoners.

Forum Editor 08:04 04 Aug 07

might work here. Something that induced a real fear of going to prison would certainly be worth a try, and could be introduced in stages.

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:10 04 Aug 07

I have dealt with many youths through the Youth Justice System over the years and in nearly 100% of all cases, prison/Youth custody was regarded as a soft option and/or a holiday camp.
The obvious lesson is there to be learned and acted upon, this is not rocket science and I would suggest that Social Services get off their high moral leftie horses and stop molly-coddling their charges and also stop bleating about how the 'poor little lambs' have had hard lives which has caused their anti-social behaviour.

G

Forum Editor 09:04 04 Aug 07

that many young people have had hard lives, and undoubtedly it does cause anti-social behaviour, but it has always been thus, and many would say that in the 21st century we wouldn't know a hard life if we tripped over one.

That isn't the point, however. We have a sophisticated and costly system of social services, devised and maintained in order to lessen the impact of a 'hard life', and if it isn't working, whose fault is that? The real issues here are 1) How we prevent people from offending and 2) What we do with them, once they have offended and they're inside.

The answer to 1. is eluding us at the moment, mainly because,in my opinion, the steps necessary to reduce the number of offenders are so complex and so daunting that we constantly shy away from them. It amounts to a fairly fundamental revision of the way we run our society - a 'from the ground up' overhaul of some of our moral values. It doesn't matter which way you slice it, you'll always end up at the same starting point - the family home. That's where all major social values are instilled, and where most (although not all) of the problems begin. The other breeding ground for delinquent behaviour is the school peer group, and that's an equally difficult nut to crack.

Solutions aren't under every stone, and we are not going to solve the crime problem overnight - or ever - but we can make things a lot better, if we have the collective will. Like all major social reforms it wouldn't be easy, and progress wouldn't be smooth; there would be lots of glitches along the way, but it could be done. It's a bit like the solution to global warming, we all tend to take the 'my little contribution isn't going to change things, so why bother?' line, and that's the real problem.

The answer to 2. is a lot easier - it simply requires a change in the way we look at prison inmates. My belief is that it's not a lot of good making the assumption that if we treat offenders well they'll reform - that would be a triumph of hope over experience. The way to treat offenders, and particularly young offenders, is to provide them with an unpleasant, hard, drug-free experience - one that they will not want to repeat in a hurry. It requires a sea-change in the way we view crime and punishment, with an emphasis on punishment, rather than reform. Punish people hard enough and they'll try to avoid putting themselves in the same position in the future - look at the way we deal with parking offences for a case in point.

Hundreds of thousands of British youngsters have a disgraceful start in life. They come from homes where parents put themselves and their own pleasures first, and the moral and physical welfare of their children second, and it's not the slightest bit of good trying to pretend otherwise. These children are self-fulfilling prophesies, they're doomed to spend their formative years in a cultural desert, devoid of anything which is likely to instill a sense of social and personal pride, and to me it's a miracle of the human ability to triumph over adversity that so many of them seem to make it into adulthood relatively unscathed.

If was a dictator for a day I would deprive everyone of the 'basic human right' to have a child until they could convince me that they were capable of producing an adult that wasn't dysfunctional. That's not going to happen, but as a society we can set about making the necessary changes - all we need is the courage to face some home truths about ourselves, and the will to bring about a social revolution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…