Hard times - for some.

newman35 09:01 13 Oct 08

click here

It's almost unbelievable, and his 3 years in Brussels gets him a pension of £31k.
Talk about the haves and have-nots.
Afraid GB's reputation (which was acceptably growing lately) wil now be shot again with this revelation.

User-1229748 09:23 13 Oct 08

and a disabled friend of mine has just had £80 a week taken off his disability benefits :o(

lofty29 09:30 13 Oct 08

Yes and the boss of RBS who has had to resign walks away with 500,000+ pension, what a wonderful life, for some.

interzone55 10:52 13 Oct 08

To be fair, all MPs get a pension, so Mandy isn't special, they also get a severance package to tide them over until they wangle a job from one of their mates, it's just that in this case the new job came before he left his old one.

As for the boss of RBS, we don't know for sure what his pension arrangements are, so it isn't right to criticise him for it. Just so long as he doesn't get a whacking great golden parachute.

Interesting to note that Barclays have chosen not to take that part nationalisation route to protect their fat cat bosses from a pay cut...

spuds 11:02 13 Oct 08

And if you follow up some media reports, its going to get even better for people in higher places :O((

version8 11:31 13 Oct 08

He got sacked twice before.
What are the odds he gets the bullet again?
3 strikes & your out!!

WhiteTruckMan 11:36 13 Oct 08

That doesnt strike me as being particularly fair. Let them have a state pension, it might provide a bigger incentive for them to look after our elderly.

WTM

rawprawn 11:42 13 Oct 08

"Interesting to note that Barclays have chosen not to take that part nationalisation route to protect their fat cat bosses from a pay cut"

Also, and I think more to the point, to defend shareholders. If the government had taken a share it would have diluted the current shareholders value.

laurie53 20:12 13 Oct 08

"To be fair, all MPs get a pension, so Mandy isn't special"

But he's not an MP.

His latest pension is for his post in Brussels, which he left of his own volition for what he sees as a better job.

rickf 20:56 13 Oct 08

Do you think he can hang on this time? The Sunday Times reported his stay at a Russian tycoon's yacht which might have compromised his impartiality re his post at Brussels. I think they are out to get him again.

Jim Thing 21:29 13 Oct 08

"Let them have a state pension, it might provide a bigger incentive for them to look after our elderly."

I'll vote for you. And you can be my bestest friend.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…