hard or soft

sunnystaines 16:47 07 Aug 11

should the police in disorder go in hard or have a soft approach and arrest later from those they find on cctv and photographs.

I think police should go in a lot harder, but wonder if they feel they no longer get 100% support from the govt or are worried on health and safety too much.

whats your view

Aitchbee 16:54 07 Aug 11

I think it depends on the circumstances. My experiences and views on the police, men and women in Scotland, is that they are doing the job of policing well. I have total trust in the Police.HB

Flak999 16:56 07 Aug 11

They should go in much harder! It is my belief that where areas of violent disorder occur, these areas should be designated as riot control areas.

Within these areas police should have special powers, the ability to suspend normal civil rights and in cases as we saw last night the ability to invoke martial law.

It should be made clear to all tempted to involve themselves in the disgraceful scenes of looting and mob violence that they risk being shot without warning by armed police.

Aitchbee 17:29 07 Aug 11

This bad news has upset me as I am going to London for a holiday next month.HB

octal 17:37 07 Aug 11

This bad news has upset me as I am going to London for a holiday next month.HB

Just think of us that live just two miles from Tottenham, the blasted helicopter was up all last night, I could see it from our bedroom window and hear it as well.

DM. 18:49 07 Aug 11

One eyewitness reports that trouble was ignited by police hitting a 16-year-old girl with batons

link text

Aitchbee 18:51 07 Aug 11

octal - I am thinking of you and the people in Tottenham. The police will sort it out. But it must be frightening for Londoner's in general. HB

morddwyd 19:24 07 Aug 11

"But it must be frightening for Londoner's in general."

As I'm sure octal will agree, the majority of Londoners have never been anywhere near Tottenham, and many of them would find it difficult to find it on a map!

Cosmopolitan Londoners can be the most parochial in the country!

bremner 19:40 07 Aug 11

Tottenham is not the sort of place you visit unless you have to. Most Londoners will have no more concerns than someone living in Scotland.

As for police action, treat the situation hard and you are collectively slammed and individually prosecuted.

Treat it softly softly and you are slammed.

A classic no win situation.

Finally i despair of a society that riots when a police officer is shot and his colleagurs respond to protect themselves and the public.

john bunyan 19:44 07 Aug 11

What happened to the Riot Act? I remember in the '50's being taught about unfurling a banner and a magistrate reading the Riot Act. I saw youths hurling rocks at police and was amazed no rubber bullets, water canon, tasers seemed to be used as in Northern Ireland a few years ago.

john bunyan 19:49 07 Aug 11

Just found it was abolished in July 1973. Maybe it should be reintroduced!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…