Halifax banking phishing phone call

exdragon 16:44 04 Dec 10

Something to bear in mind at this times of year especially, perhaps: I had a call yesterday from Halifax bank. In recognition of the way I conduct my banking and credit card (only had them for a few weeks), he was offering £5 for every £500 of debt moved from any existing cards to my Halifax one. I was asked if I was the only person of my name at my address, which he quoted, but when I said I didn't have any outstanding debts, the call ended. Needless to say, the person I spoke to at Halifax didn't know anything about it.

Might be worth passing on.

morddwyd 20:46 04 Dec 10

Fairly common scam at any time of the year.

The banks, building societies and financial institutions simply do not conduct business this way.

spuds 23:30 04 Dec 10

"The banks, building societies and financial institutions simply do not conduct business this way".

No but they do cold call on the pretense of something else to sell some of their services.

Regarding outstanding debts, the caller was possibly referring to transfer of outstanding balance on other companies credit or store cards. Its was the usual case of offering an interest free period on these transfers. That stopped once, but now the practice seems to have resumed with some credit card companies.

morddwyd 07:56 05 Dec 10

"offering an interest free period on these transfers."

I get those all the time, but the legitimate ones come through the letter box.

exdragon 08:13 05 Dec 10

spuds - yes, he was, but as morddwyd, offers generally are in the pose. This chap said only if I transferred money at that time would I get the sweetener. The thought of up to £50 for nothing may tempt some people and it would have been easy to go ahead, especially if one was heavily embroiled in Christmas planning etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now