Halfords lorry driver stuck

timsmith259 15:41 04 Jan 11

click here

twice on the same in the same village using a sat nav supplied by halfords..

Forum Editor 15:45 04 Jan 11

He's mentioned the problem with heavy lorries a few times. Obviously a big issue locally.

peter99co 15:48 04 Jan 11

He needs re-training if he is unable to read road signs. It has nothing to do with a SAT-Nav.

I bet he drove past a few signs before he ran out of road.

Ford Prefect 01 16:12 04 Jan 11

The sat nav could have come from anywhere. Obviously the person operating it and by default the lorry, is apparently not bright enough to be allowed to drive.

peter99co 16:19 04 Jan 11
  sunnystaines 16:32 04 Jan 11

tomtom were meant to be bringing a software update out where you enter your weight, height, width and takes you a route to avoid the entered restrictions linked to relevant traffic signs in western europe.

will be handy for my camper van been caught out a few times where the sign is only a few yards in front of the restriction making it awkward to turn round.

johndrew 16:38 04 Jan 11

We have many HGVs using unsuitable roads around us. They cause a real hazard to all pedestrians as they mount curbs on tight corners and attempt various manoeuvres to navigate the routes sat navs send them on.

It is a pity that drivers of large vehicles, such as the above, can't be prosecuted for using routes which are unsuited to their size. It would encourage the use of a sat nav designed for HGVs and take a lot of pain from a lot of lives - and possibly allow some to run their natural course.

carver 17:00 04 Jan 11

With the proper sat nav you can't get into that sort of problem.

I bought one specifically for HGV's and it is brilliant, before using it you have to input length, width and height of vehicle plus weight.

So whatever sat nav he was using wasn't for HGV's.

spuds 17:18 04 Jan 11

I have owned a sat-nav for years, but it still doesn't stop me asking the way.

Not all that far from where I live is a farmer and some nearby residents who were on-call when the local ford was running high. Many a sat-nav directed people through the ford to the nearby village, and then they became stuck.

The council then put up barriers and extra road signs, so upsetting a nice little cottage industry.

peter99co 17:19 04 Jan 11

Just a numpti driver

click here

uk-wizard 17:59 04 Jan 11

Signs need to be in a place where the HGV driver has time to use the info, putting a sign at the entrance to a village may not be of any use if the lorry cant find another route or turnround.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…