Haiti

morddwyd 09:47 24 Jan 10

While any sign of life getting back to normal is news, did the BBC think of the effect on the aid appeal before they showed pictures of a well stocked supermarket about to reopen on this morning's news?

sunnystaines 09:56 24 Jan 10

haiti's wealth was moved to france when pappa/baby doc went into exile there. France should sieze that wealth and hand it back.

Bapou 10:06 24 Jan 10

Seems there's not a lot of that wealth left. Baby Doc has offered $8m to the Haiti Aid Fund, problem is, he no longer has it.

click here

sunnystaines 12:14 24 Jan 10

bapou amazing he has wasted so much looking at the link,could it be a cover to hide his wealth. with a big french influence over a long era in haiti surprised they have been so quiet.

sunnystaines 12:16 24 Jan 10

we were near haiti at the time and the wife felt the tremor, then another quake the other side of us in the caymans we were lucky, now back in the UK.

ulrich 17:23 24 Jan 10

Where do you go shopping morddwyd it didn't look like my local supermarket? What fresh looking food was actually fresh I wonder?

What wealth was in Haiti to take?

sunnystaines 17:43 24 Jan 10

haiti used to have gold and bauxite mines also extensive tropical crops. profits must be lost in corruption.

ulrich 18:18 24 Jan 10

I think that ran out a few hundred years ago. I know sugar was an export, but for reasons unknown the island just got robbed out. The black people that are their are the descendants of the slaves, I wonder what isleft of the original population?

morddwyd 19:07 24 Jan 10

"I wonder what isleft of the original population?"

I think you'll find that in most of the islands in this area the Spaniards totally exterminated the indigenous population.

sunnystaines 19:53 24 Jan 10

most of the islands were home to arawak indians who were either killed by spanish or commited mass suicide rather than fight. when some of the colonial powers pulled out they left no admistration in place to run the islands the lucky ones were run by the dutch and british.

haiti had the misfortune to be a french colony.

morddwyd 10:32 25 Jan 10

Incidentally, when did it become "Haytee" instead of "Hightee"?

Or is this another case of British radio and television announcers deciding that the American way is best, as in "Carbull" instead of "Cabull", or Beijing instead of Peking.

I have no issue with people changing their names of their own localities from colonial hangovers such as Burma, Ceylon or Bombay, but where do these sudden changes of pronunciation, maybe from something accepted for a century or more, come from?

And please don't come our with the old chestnut sbout "language developing". This might cover things like "shown" instead of "shewn" but not normal everyday pronunciation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…