This Guy Deserves a Whole Paragraph …

Pesala 19:45 17 Feb 09

… not just a maximum sentence.

Landmark Khmer Rouge trial starts: click here

Return to the Killing Fields: click here (Not for the faint-hearted) This is a recent documentary of the story of Cambodia

If you have never seen the film "The Killing Fields" released in 1984, click here_(film) then I recommend it. It is a dramatisation of the events as they unfolded, with one of the supporting actors being a survivor from Cambodia. click here

Forum Editor 20:12 17 Feb 09

and asked the forgiveness of his victims"

He is also a born-again Christian.

Well now, there's an interesting mix - a man who is charged with presiding over the deaths of around 15,000 people has suddenly decided he's with the Lord.

newman35 20:30 17 Feb 09

how many criminals 'get religion' when inside, and become 'born again'. Cynic, moi??

Forum Editor 20:36 17 Feb 09

It's not uncommon for people to develop religious convictions whilst in detention, and I'm sure that in many cases the conversion or rebirth is genuine.

Pesala 21:48 17 Feb 09

took place before he was detained.

click here

“Shortly after his wife's murder, Duch began attending the prayer meetings of the Golden West Cambodian Christian Church held in Battambang by Christopher Lapel, an evangelical Khmer-American. Duch was baptized by Lapel and eventually became a lay pastor.”

Pol Pot, on the other hand, is said to have had no remorse before his death. I doubt that is true, but he did not openly confess his crimes as Duch did.

This brief documentary on the life of Pol Pot is worth watching too: click here

newman35 22:16 17 Feb 09

"and I'm sure that in many cases the conversion or rebirth is genuine."

I'm tempted to say I'm equally sure that many are not! But I accept what you say.

bluto1 22:36 17 Feb 09

I agree with you. The only reason for their change of heart is to save their own lives. In my opinion every one of them should be exterminated.

Forum Editor 00:02 18 Feb 09

on the timing of this man's conversion, but I remain steadfastly sceptical about his religious convictions - I believe he's flying a flag of convenience.

Kevscar1 07:38 18 Feb 09

Well now, there's an interesting mix - a man who is charged with presiding over the deaths of around 15,000 people has suddenly decided he's with the Lord.

Well if they have the death penalty he soon will be. Of course over here he be out in a few years and make millions for selling his story

interzone55 08:36 18 Feb 09

"Of course over here he be out in a few years and make millions for selling his story"

Seeing as, thankfully, we've never tried anyone for crimes against humanity, how can you make a statement like that?

Jim Thing 10:46 18 Feb 09

FE:
"It's not uncommon for people to develop religious convictions whilst in detention, and I'm sure that in many cases the conversion or rebirth is genuine."

I'm equally sure that in many cases it ain't.
Here in Northern Ireland we have been generously provided with a plentiful supply of ex-terrorist hoodlums*/gallant freedom fighters*/loyal defenders of the faith* who claim to have met Jesus in prison. Oddly enough, the Ulster form of conversion seems to have opened up a whole new world of job opportunities for the reborn, ranging from 'cross-community worker' at one end of the scale to Member Of Our Esteemed Legislative Assembly at the other. Either way I guess it beats sitting in a prison cell staring at the wall.

* Delete as appropriate
[Hint: they're all the same really — how you perceive them depends on what Sunday School you attended]

newman35:
"Strange how many criminals 'get religion' when inside, and become 'born again'. Cynic, moi??"

Aye. Moi aussi...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…