Guitar playing styles

Clapton is God 11:28 14 Feb 10

Saw Clapton and Beck - Together and Apart - at the O2 last night.

It was the first time I've seen Beck as I've never really been a fan of his music.

I went with my elder daughter's partner who, apart from being a Beck fan, is also a professional musician and guitarist.

It was interesting to hear his comments from a guitarist’s point of view.

He feels that, technically, Beck is the better guitarist, getting more out of each note than Clapton.

Perhaps surprisingly, I have to agree with him!

I still prefer Clapton’s music. Most of Beck’s material is instrumental and of the jazz/fusion variety and, frankly, I find it difficult to distinguish one track from another.

It has to be said that, whether or not you like Clapton’s voice, vocals make a hell of a difference in helping to distinguish one track from another.

Any other thoughts out there about these two?

Quickbeam 11:35 14 Feb 10

They're both better than I'll ever be, so I wouldn't care to criticise either:)

My styles the classical two fingers on a bass... playing with six strings is far too difficult for me!

Input Overload 11:38 14 Feb 10

Carter scratch, beware of ancient clip: click here

Forum Editor 11:40 14 Feb 10

Clapton likes to see himself as a blues man, and he's certainly had the life experience, but to my ear he lacks conviction - there are far better guitarists out there. Eric Clapton has all the ingredients, but somehow they don't combine to make the whole ... in my view.

I agree with you about Beck - he's technically brilliant, but not to my taste, musically.

Input Overload 11:42 14 Feb 10

click here Maybelle could play guitar.

Clapton is God 11:51 14 Feb 10

Last night they each did a one hour 'solo' set. Beck's was all instrumental except for one number when Joss Stone came on to do the (excellent) vocals.

Clapton's solo set was, frankly, self-indulgent. The first 20 minutes were sit-down acoustic but he picked up his Strat for the other 40 minutes or so (fantastic versions of Cocaine and Crossroads).

However when they came together for a final one hour set it was more like a 'battle of the guitars'. Neither of them looked at each other once throughout the set. It was as if they were in their own little 'bubbles' playing for their own enjoyment.

And you can only stomach so much 12-bar blues!

Not great.

DANZIG 11:54 14 Feb 10

click here

Eddie Van Halen - genius.

Best bit at about 3:10....

Seth Haniel 11:58 14 Feb 10

Plucks my strings. If I had to pick one style.

Quickbeam 12:13 14 Feb 10

I like the laid back style of Santana click here and the equally laid back, but on steroids Django Reinhardt click here

Demora 14:38 14 Feb 10

It just has to be the versatility of Jimmy Page for me.

D

IClaudio 22:36 14 Feb 10

I love Santana and his impossibly-long held notes. His band was fantastic when I saw them a couple of years before this clip, during his Caravanserai tour... stunning! I suspect, hearing the organ (Greg Rierson?) and percussion, it's the same band.

Clapton is astounding, but can get over-indulgent, as CIG noted (it must have have hurt to say that lol). I saw him on TV over Christmas with Andy Fairweather-Low and the show was amazing, with two great guitarists showing respect for each other.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…