Greetings

laurie53 09:43 04 Jul 09

Happy 4th to all those of the transatlantic persuasion.

Forum Editor 10:05 04 Jul 09

for an evening barbecue. Interestingly, one of them told me that America celebrates on the wrong day. Apparently the declaration wasn't signed by Congress delegates until almost a month later, on August 2nd 1776.

Clapton is God 12:17 04 Jul 09

"one of them told me that America celebrates on the wrong day".

The facts have never been known to have any effect on the USA's view of history

jack 12:24 04 Jul 09

'The facts have never been known to have any effect on the USA's view of history' quite so- all those daring do war films that the 'US won.'

But it seems practically every celebratory date on which certain events allegedly took place is incorrect- because of the flaw of history or [and I feel mostly] to suit certain other criteria
Think -- Christmas, Easter, Queens Birthday,
to name only a few.

Kevscar1 12:30 04 Jul 09

Do you think we should arrange to have an annual holiday on the day Gordon goes.

bremner 12:54 04 Jul 09

The Declaration of Independence was made in Congress on 4th July 1776. Twenty four copies were made of the Declaration by John Dunlap and are known as the "Dunlap Broadsides".

On 19th July Congress ordered that the Declaration be inscribed and be signed by the members of Congress. This commenced on 2nd August.

Forum Editor 15:33 04 Jul 09

Actually, the congressional committee approved the declaration in a closed session on 2nd July, so maybe that's the date which should be remembered.

Forum Editor 15:34 04 Jul 09

We're pretty good at ignoring the facts when it comes to our version of our history, too.

bremner 15:41 04 Jul 09

Thats correct Congress declared independence as the British fleet and army sailed into New York on 2nd July.

With the amount of public holidays they have in America I am surprised the Independence 'day' celebration does not go from 2nd July - 2nd August. It would be a good party.

laurie53 19:15 04 Jul 09

"It would be a good party."

It already is!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac