Greenspan admits Iraq was about oil.

oresome 20:11 16 Sep 07

"The man once regarded as the world's most powerful banker has bluntly declared that the Iraq war was 'largely' about oil."

Did anyone think otherwise?

click here

WhiteTruckMan 20:29 16 Sep 07

Well to tell you the truth, I always had the nagging feeling -totally unproveable, I know- that part of it was about unfinished family buisness on the part of george jnr.

WTM

Joe R 20:36 16 Sep 07

Did anyone think otherwise?

That question says it in a nutshell.

Noels 20:41 16 Sep 07

Alan Greenspan also states that the US mortgage market collapsed because the U S government followed a policy of very low interest rates!!
Have I heard this somewhere nearer home?
Low interest rates don't attract investment, therefore can't pay out dividends in the form of mortgages? or have I got it wrong?
As a pensioner better interest rates would have helped my savings but under this government pensioners have been really hard hit. Remember you will all be pensioners one day!
Regards
Noels.

WhiteTruckMan 20:45 16 Sep 07

"you will all be pensioners one day!"

The way things are going, what makes you think there will be any pensions at all left by the time todays youth will be in their 80's?

WTM

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:53 16 Sep 07

Well, I am shocked by this revelation and here's me thinking it was about freedom for the Iraqi people /me devestated that I didn't twig onto this much earlier.

G

Noels 22:19 16 Sep 07

You enjoyed the N.E.
Come to Shropshire while you are still young enough and still have the money to enjoy it?
Regards
Noels

Wilham 22:27 19 Sep 07

In 1956 Nassar nationalised the Suez canal. Later, Iran nationalised its oil complex at Abadan. What teases me is whether Iraq invasion was designed to stop Iraq following suit?

After the invasion and before the new Iraq government was formed all their oil supply was contracted out to American companies. D Tel Business paper at the time commented "The US public would hardly accept less."

No hard evidence here, but members of the leading political party (previously under Saddam Hussein) are not allowed to stand for election. So does the new Iraq have a truly democratic government?

It's only my suspicion, but I remember how I was shocked when the truth about Suez finally came out.

DrScott 22:43 19 Sep 07

our political leaders had the decency to admit their own culpability.

It all makes me beyond furious. Ashamed is probably a more accurate sentiment.

JanetO 10:38 20 Sep 07

So, an estimated 1.2 million people died as a result of the war, countless £billions lost...

Maths isn't my strongest subject, but I would have thought that all those wasted resources could have been put to better use by trying to find an alternative to oil.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac