Green bulbs...

Quickbeam 13:22 01 Jul 08

or not green bulbs click here

Personally I find the only difference is that the low energy ones take 5 minutes or so to warm up to the maximum light output.

skeletal 14:47 01 Jul 08

I desperately want to use “green” bulbs, so much so that, a couple of years ago I bought five LED types for use in outside fittings (IMO LEDs are the future of low energy bulbs, not the compact fluorescent).

I then modified them all to fit the lamp holders (because bulbs you can buy don’t match common fittings...great idea!).

It took me the best part of a day and cost £50, but given their very long life and negligible consumption, I would eventually be quids in.

Or not! One bulb failed just after a year, and a second has also just failed.

Nearly every fitting inside the house is controlled either by a dimmer, or a remote control unit/dimmer combination.

Dimmable CFLs are just becoming available but, IIRC, are also getting on for £10 each. To use them would thus cost me about £250 and if they are as unreliable as the “ultra long life” LEDs, would cost £50-£100 a year to replace them.

Both the LEDs and the CFLs are as dull as ditchwater; no problem in some areas, but they are in others.

So, make them reliable, increase light output by at least a factor of ten, make them all dimmable, make them compatible with current lamp fittings, make them small enough so that they can fit into typical lamp holders, and cost £1 and they’ll fly off the shelves.

No doubt we’ll get there eventually, but more development needed.

Skeletal

interzone55 14:54 01 Jul 08

I've got a couple of problems with CFLs.

1) Most of them don't give as much light as a standard tungsten bulb. fine for me, but my wife has uveitis and so needs quite bright light to see by.

2) You can get very bright CFLs, but they cost about £15 - someone on this forum pointed me in the right direction...

3) CFLs contain a lot of mercury - has anyone put any thought into the safe disposal of these bulbs?

Cymro. 15:05 01 Jul 08

I have changed almost all the bulbs in our house to the compact economy florescent types. I still use an old fashioned bulb at the top of the stairs as I think it safer as the others do take a little longer to brighten up.

People are forever complaining that the newer bulbs are not bright enough but if you buy a higher wattage one then it can be as bright as any bulb. I am very satisfied with the green bulbs that we use and find no problem with them.

To be honest skeletalI don`t know what IMO bulbs are and am only vaguely aware of the LED bulb and as for CFLs and IIRC you have lost me there. Any chance of a link for more info. about them?

peter99co 15:19 01 Jul 08

I have bought an 18 LED spotlight which has a gooseneck and clamp. My wife uses it to read with. I think it is 2 watts. Cost £10

Binnacle 15:44 01 Jul 08

We are slowly moving across to "green" bulbs in some parts of the house and have six in places where the lights are left on for long periods of time.
Once they have warmed up, after about 10 mins ,there is very little difference in light quality.

But in bedrooms and bathrooms they do not warm up quickly enough to provide instant bright light.

skeletal 16:00 01 Jul 08

Oops sorry Cymro, I occasionally drop in to “text speak” for a few phrases:

IMO = In My Opinion
IIRC = If I Remember Correctly

And in the context of this thread: CFL= compact fluorescent

As for links:

click here

click here

My posting was partly based on what I did a couple of years ago (but the reliability issue is still relevant) and some prices are falling (but they still cost lots more than an incandescent bulb). This area of technology is fast moving. I recently read about a university having made a breakthrough by using nano tube technology to greatly improve the light output from LEDs (Light Emitting Diodes), but I can’t think where I saw it, so no link! Also, at present, people tend to think about a light as a “bulb”. I suspect that in the future it will be a nano tube enhanced LED panels.

Which I why I think “more development needed”!

Skeletal

Cymro. 16:08 01 Jul 08

Sorry Skeletal I should have known.
I suppose that as you were on about new electric bulbs I thought it was another peace of hightec that I had not heard of.

Thanks for the links I will read all about it and may even get to know what I am talking about.

€dstowe 16:10 01 Jul 08

I have been very disappointed with CFL lamps.

I'm trying to "do my bit" for the environment but, far from being long life, I have always had to replaced failed ones more often than with an incandescent lights. This has worked out quite expensive over the quite a number of years I've been using them at home - far offsetting anything I might have saved on my electricity bill.

As far as using them in my studio, complete waste of time. The line spectral quality of the output renders them totally useless for colour matching so we still have to use daylight and old fashioned tungsten bulbs - hardly heading 21st century technology.

So, yes, I have a stash of studio lights, photo lamps and such like in the hope by the time these have lighted their last, some clever person at Philips or Osram will have come up with an equivalent that really is what it claims.

sunny staines 16:14 01 Jul 08

are these the new bulbs with a tangle long strip replacing the bulb if so had to give them away and return to normal bulbs the glare from them was triggering my migraine.

Bingalau 16:20 01 Jul 08

I'm just off to the chandlers to buy some new candles.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017