Grammar skills

Al94 10:36 AM 14 May 13

Here's one to test you. I confess to getting 5/10 BBC News Magazine

carver 10:52 AM 14 May 13

not much better 6/10, must remember to take note of which car ran over me.

Quickbeam 10:55 AM 14 May 13

Pedantic claptrap!

Anyone got a pointy hat?

Quickbeam 10:57 AM 14 May 13

...or should that read; 'Has anyone got a pointy hat?'.

Quickbeam 10:57 AM 14 May 13

There's probably errors in that and this as well...

Aitchbee 12:15 PM 14 May 13

I scored ... 3 [out of ten].

Quickbeam 12:27 PM 14 May 13

That makes you as thick as me then!

Bing.alau 12:29 PM 14 May 13

I got 5/10 but am puzzled as to what "A Pedant" is. I can understand the "promising" bit but will have to look up "Pedant".

Forum Editor 12:32 PM 14 May 13

People who don't much care about correct use of grammar - or don't know what the rules are - usually refer to those who do in scathing terms.

There's no law that says your grammar must be perfect, and in truth nobody can claim that theirs is. There are rules however, and I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to follow them; it's a personal choice.

Bing.alau 12:33 PM 14 May 13

I must admit I love quizzes. I hate missing "Pointless" in the evening so have it down to record in case I miss it. But there seems to be too many of them on TV at the moment. Getting to be like cooking programs and DIY programs etc. These BBC quizzes are just a bit of harmless fun.

Forum Editor 12:35 PM 14 May 13

A pedant is a person who is excessively concerned with formalism and precision. In this forum I'm often referred to as being one, but that doesn't really bother me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know