Gove's Eton Mess ?

spider9 14:18 16 Mar 14
Answered

Eton boys

Is Michael trying to 'stir it up' for the PM?

He later goes on to say "You've got to have that extra spark of charisma and star quality. David has it, George has it.. "

I found his statement that Osborne has charisma was priceless, star quality even more ridiculous!!

1]: [click here

fourm member 16:23 16 Mar 14

No.

Does that answer your question?

I know it's a bit of a pain having to register to get free, limited access to the FT but it is well worth it.

If you do you'll see that Gove was saying that past failings in the state sector are what has led to the continued dominance of private education in the higher reaches of parliament and the civil service. There's very little difference between the present cabinet and that of Robert Arthur Talbot Gascoyne-Cecil in 1902.

In other words, the entire history of the Labour party marks a failure to change the education system to increase opportunities for all.

Full interview here.

spider9 17:15 16 Mar 14

fourm member

Well, at least on that question we got straight answer from you!! (;-)

That first question was a bit tongue in cheek, of course, and I was more interested in the question of the 'charisma' of the 'boy', George.

natdoor 17:35 16 Mar 14

It would be remarkable if the vast expenditure and personal coaching at Eton and other leading "public" schools did not result in well-educated pupils. I will gloss over Cameron's inability to decline the personal pronoun correctly! However, the result of such a privileged upbringing is often that there is a lack of understanding of normal life, manufacturing and commerce.

The late Tony Benn, commenting on nepotism and patronage, said that he would not be amused if, about to have a tooth drilled, the dentist stated that he was not qualified but his father had been an excellent dentist. Sadly we have too many of that ilk in powerful positions.

spider9 18:16 16 Mar 14

"...the entire history of the Labour party marks a failure to change the education system to increase opportunities for all"

...and the Tories have managed it? Any evidence of such? Tories have been in power many years since 1900, so why haven't they had educational opportunities for all sorted out by now?

Cameron and his 'jobs for my Eton mates' cabinet has not impressed voters, I reckon.

Forum Editor 18:18 16 Mar 14

"the result of such a privileged upbringing is often that there is a lack of understanding of normal life, manufacturing and commerce."

I would have been happier had you used the word 'sometimes' instead of 'often', but that's splitting a hair a little.

A lifetime in 'normal life, manufacturing and commerce' has taught me that I can usually expect plenty of understanding from people - both male and female - who have attended Public schools. Some of them are snobs, admittedly, but so are plenty of people who attended State schools.

This idea that Public schools instill a sense of arrogance, and ignorance of 'real life' is nonsense. It may have been the case once upon the time, but those days are long gone.

Aitchbee 18:34 16 Mar 14

He later goes on to say "You've got to have that extra spark of charisma and star quality. David has it, George has it.. "

How come he missed out Danny?

Forum Editor 18:37 16 Mar 14

natdoor

"Cameron and his 'jobs for my Eton mates' cabinet has not impressed voters, I reckon."

I wonder what the voters think of people like Harriet Harman (privately educated, no experience in commerce)

Ed Balls (privately educated, Harvard scholar)

Hilary Benn (privately educated, no commercial experience).

The Labour shadow cabinet, which is stuffed with Oxbridge graduates, can hardly claim to be in touch with normal life, manufacturing and commerce. Many of them have never had a proper job.

fourm member 18:49 16 Mar 14

FE

'stuffed with Oxbridge graduates'

You're forgetting that it is the British way to sneer about intelligence and achievement.

One reason Tony Benn didn't achieve more in practical terms was that there were plenty of Labour MPs and supporters who didn't like his intelligence and education. (Westminster School and New College, Oxford)

fourm member 18:52 16 Mar 14

You don't know people until you get close to them. For all I know Osborne may be charismatic when you know him.

Let's not forget, there were people who thought Gordon Brown was a great PM but the people who were close to him have talked about him in very different terms.

Forum Editor 19:13 16 Mar 14

"it is the British way to sneer about intelligence and achievement."

At one point in my working life I had to negotiate with some pretty militant Trades Union officials over a fairly long time on behalf of the company I was working for.

I was young, and less assured in those days, and I decided to keep quiet about my University education - the reason being that pretty well all of the Union representatives did precisely what you said - they sneered at the mere mention of a university degree.

There are still quite a few of those dinosaurs around today, although the Labour party has done its best to distance itself from that kind of thinking. The problem it faces is that by doing so it has alienated itself from much of its traditional rank and file membership.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…