Government Websites

Scrivers 21:50 PM 09 Aug 11

Government websites do not work with Google Chrome. I recently applied for a photocard drivers licence using Chrome. It took me all day during which time the site froze over and over again. I even got to the "Pay" part and still the site froze. The following day I tried again - same thing. I phoned a number provided during the process and they said it must be my computer, which got me thinking. I'll try using Internet Explorer, I thought. Within 3 mins I'd completed the procedure. I had a similar experience when applying for an E111 card and again when applying for a pension forecast. All worked fine with Internet Explorer but not with Google Chrome. I did phone the DVLA and informed them of the problem. They said they were not aware but would act on it - mmmmmh!!!

wiz-king 05:46 AM 10 Aug 11

This has always been a problem - and always will be - website builders get something nice and stable then the browser suppliers bring out the latest 'improved' version and the web designers have to modify their code to adapt. IE is notorious for not conforming to the standards, although it has the biggest share of the market, so website designers design for it.

interzone55 10:02 AM 10 Aug 11

I'm not sure this is the case.

I've used Google Chrome for the last couple of years, since the late Beta phase and have experienced no problems renewing my tax disc every 6 months.

I now only use IE for a couple of work related web sites that refuse to work in Chrome.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch EA Gamescom 2015 Press Conference live: EA Gamescom live stream - watch EA talk Star…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…