Government demonstrates new foreign policy

john 52 21:45 01 Oct 10
  Forum Editor 22:39 01 Oct 10

and make no difference, or be pragmatic and actually improve human rights?"

I want us to have high standards when it comes to foreign policy,rather than double standards. It wasn't that long ago that William Hague was encouraging British companies to pull their money out of Sudan.

It would be difficult to come up with anyone who has a worse human rights record than Omar al-Bashir. The International Criminal Court has issued a warrant for his arrest for war crimes, yet here is our Foreign Secretary, cosying up to him in the name of Trade. William Hague should be ashamed of himself, as should David Cameron for allowing him to welcome a Trade delegation from Bashir's regime.

john 52 23:04 01 Oct 10

Perfectly summed up FE !!

morddwyd 08:43 02 Oct 10

What's the old mantra?

"Never let principles get in the way of business"

john 52 10:46 02 Oct 10

But fourm member are you happy that the Conservative Party ( which is representing the British people ) is courting the regime of the indicted war criminal.

Just a simple yes or no will do !

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:09 02 Oct 10

We have an enormous trade with Saudi Arabia/China and it's not like they haven't got form.

G

Forum Editor 18:35 02 Oct 10

that my elected government is doing a u-turn, and actively seeking to promote trading relations with a regime about which the Conservatives have previously condemned as being one of the worst in the world as far as its humanitarian record is concerned.

Our current International development Secretary previously spoke of the need to "change national and international business behaviour in the face of manifest gross violations of human rights", yet here he is, encouraging British companies to invest in the country - totally the opposite to what he was doing when he previously backed a campaign to get British companies to pull out of Sudan.

It is hypocrisy of the worst order, and no amount of mealy-mouthed mumbling about the need to put pressure on Sudan regime to change its ways is going to alter that. It's about having principles and standing by them, and if the Conservatives in government feel it's OK to do an about turn, now that they're in the driving seat and hungry for foreign trade I'll be thinking hard about placing my future trust in their judgement.

morddwyd 18:40 02 Oct 10

First rule of management ("that which is not written down has not been said") also applies, in a slightly modified form, in Parliament.

"That which is said in opposition has no bearing on reality in government."

john 52 19:54 02 Oct 10

Forum Editor

I am certainly not happy

I bet a large number of Liberal democrat voters will not be happy as well I am surprised that they got the okay from Nick Clegg on that one but perhaps he was not asked ?

sunnystaines 20:38 02 Oct 10

it we stopped trade because of human rights issues that is most of africa, middle east and plenty of asia struck off not leaving many places for our exports.

john 52 21:18 02 Oct 10

Most of Africa, Middle East and plenty of Asia do not have warrants issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague, over atrocities committed

The Liberal Democrat MP Tim Farron even admitted that the Government's stance was something to be concerned about!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5