got vista? whats you opinion?

sunny staines 07:40 11 Jun 06

For those that have had a good download & install whats you opionon of it.

spikeychris 10:25 11 Jun 06

I'm installing it on 7 computers at work. I had the initial release but it didn’t recognise PCI wireless cards so it came off. Hopefully this release should.

LastChip 14:36 11 Jun 06

Why would you install a beta version of Windows, which by Microsoft's own admission is not yet completely ready for widespread use, on seven machines in (presumably) a business environment?

I have got it, as I have to do some research into compatibility etc., but have not had sufficient time to really "play" with it yet.

I'm using it on a 64 bit machine with 2GB of RAM, but am going to have to upgrade the graphics card to get the best out of it.

It's certainly significantly different to all previous Windows incarnations, particularly with regard to the layout, Firewall controls and Network settings. But the first thing that struck me, is there is no option other than to have the NTFS file system, which could cause major problems in a mixed environment with legacy systems.

I also expected a much faster install, given I was using the 64 bit version, but it's still a much slower process than for example, SuSE 10.0 - 64 bit, which completed in about 35 minutes including the associated applications. By comparison, Vista took over an hour.

That said, it did install without errors in the sense that all hardware was recognised and configured without any input from me.

Looking at the user interface, it's pretty and undoubtedly will appeal to many people, but I suspect there will be a learning curve both for administrators and users. In my view, it is different enough, not to be so intuitive, that coming from XP for example, a user would feel immediately comfortable. This however can be mitigated to some degree, by changing to the "Classic" view which will probably feel more familiar.

spikeychris 14:48 11 Jun 06

I'm interested in the networking tools it offers. The machines are in a business enviro but they are on their own little micro network so easily sorted.

folder4mags 16:03 11 Jun 06

Kind of Microsoft to release the Beta Version of Vista for others to find the bugs & to help with software testing, what ever next Microsoft going Open Source!

Oh and will MS offer a discount to those who test it for them? Or have they told these plucky sloes it has spyware on it? Oh and some people may find it difficult to get it off their pc's at the end of testing, just one of the flaws MS have not mentioned.

As for me i'm really thinking of moving to Linux, a system with less bugs & more reliable to!

LastChip 16:50 11 Jun 06

While I think those that are familiar with my past posts would accept, I'm not exactly pro-Microsoft, they are between a rock and a hard place.

On the one hand, you can take the view they should release properly internally tested software and for ever more, all would be rosy. Or you can be realistic and say, until that software gets used by real users, you are not going to know how good (or bad) the software is. In addition, there is no way even the mighty Microsoft can muster the resources that are the equivalent of hundreds of thousands of users testing their system worldwide. Combine that with the likely thousands of different combinations of all sorts of applications being used with Vista, and you get a much clearer idea of how close you are to release.

As for spyware; perhaps, but if you isolate the system as I have done on it's own drive, once I've finished with it, a re-format is all that is required to banish it forever.

On the plus side, it does give us all a chance to see what will work with it and what wont. This is particularly valuable for administrators, planning upgrades sometimes many months in advance.

By all means change to Linux. I'm one of the few strong advocates and users here at PCA, and would recommend you try either Xandros or SuSE for your introduction to the alternative world. Xandros in particular, is a very simple install and if your on a network, will automatically configure your machine to see the others, but be prepared for a steep learning curve. It's better than in the past, but still very different to Windows.

LastChip 00:58 12 Jun 06

Having "played a little more, it has become apparent the Network settings are far more granular than in previous offerings. While I have managed to file share individual files to an XP machine, I'm having problems trying to access the Vista machine from an ME computer. This may be a bug, or more likely my lack of understanding as yet, of how the network settings operate. The "Public" files however, make life easy for general sharing.

This is actually being typed in Vista IE 7.0 and I never thought I would say it, but I'm impressed with the vast improvement Microsoft have introduced to this browser. Having said that, it's rather obvious they have taken the best parts of Firefox and integrated them into IE. But all credit to them, IE 7+ works well and is VERY fast. Whether that is due to the 64 bit platform, or it is a result of a much improved browser remains to be seen. But I am using the 64 bit version and it's impressive. I guess I'll have to load Firefox and do a comparison. I have to say (not being the best speller in the world) I do miss the spell checking plugin available for Firefox, but perhaps there is something similar planned for IE.

It is clear there has been a lot of attention to security. Again, Microsoft have adopted some of the Linux philosophy, in creating ownership of files. A long overdue step, but a welcome one. Users can be locked down somewhat more than in the past and at it's most extreme, can be refused permission to load anything. I can see that being very popular with administrators throughout the land and should result in less maintenance for them in due course.

dth 09:52 12 Jun 06

LastChip - Can I pick up a point on NTFS (as I use XP and Suse 10.0 - with a separate fat32 drive for data). Can vista not be set up on a fat32 drive or cannot read from a fat 32 drive?

LastChip 10:42 12 Jun 06

The only option (at this stage in it's development) is to use the NTFS file system for set-up (installation). It can't be installed on a FAT32 partition.

I suspect for the inbuilt security aspects, that's how it will remain.

However, it can read FAT32 in the same way that XP does, so it would read your FAT32 partition.

As in previous versions of Windows, it cannot read native Linux partitions.

I hope that clears up any confusion.

dth 12:09 12 Jun 06

Thanks for the clarification

kinger 22:55 12 Jun 06

I'm still waiting for the download to complete but have also ordered the DVD as the D/L keeps stopping due to heavy traffic.

It costs £10.00 for the disk to be delivered but, unfortunately, a page with the word 'Error' on it appears at the end of the credit card transaction.

I'm sure that Microsoft will give me a voucher for £10.00 off of the retail version, once released (smile).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…