Got tail ended today

WhiteTruckMan 20:00 18 Jun 06

while out in Bradford with family and inlaws. was on the ring road slowing down for some stationary traffic when I looked over my shoulder to see if I was clear to change lanes. glimpsed a large cloud of tyre smoke and felt a huge BANG and was shunted forewards, fortunately not hitting anything. I ended up with some mild whiplash but no-one else in my car hurt, thank god. got out a bit dazed, and was nearly run over by the asian gentleman of indeterminate parentage who decided to drive off. no name, details etc. he wouldnt have got far as his car was spewing water and oil, but he did disappear from sight. I told the cops that I considered grabbing the guy, but they replied that it probably wasnt such a good idea as I had my wife and kids with me!

I think that its highly unlikely this bastich has got any insurance even if they catch him so there goes the no claims bonus. looks like I'm going to be off work too, with loss of earnings etc to boot.

Realise this has nothing to do with PC's but am just sounding off generally about something that has got me steaming.

WTM

De Marcus™ 20:16 18 Jun 06

Did you not get a reg number?

ade.h 20:22 18 Jun 06

Steam away for a while; you've earned it.

De Marcus - unlikely in the heat of the moment, unfortunately.

sunny staines 20:26 18 Jun 06

keep a cheap camera, phone camera in the car at times to catch the postion of the cars, & car index on film and the driver in case it is denied later.

De Marcus™ 20:44 18 Jun 06

Your probably right ade.h, I've been tail ended before and whilst I can understand that in the heat of the moment it's the last thing to come to mind, I've always made it a priority.

It perhaps stems from when I took my daughter to the park and whilst putting her bike in the boot, she whipped round the front of the car while a transit was van blasting along, I managed to get to her in time to grab her jacket hood and yanked her off her feet, inches from the bumper, the transit van skidded, almost came to a stop, then sped off, doubtless whether he knew he'd hit her or not. I got the registration and luckily enough so did the local council cctv.

WhiteTruckMan 21:08 18 Jun 06

plus names & adresses of several witnesses, all interviewed on the scene by the cops. we had a call from them telling us they had found the car. thankfully not torched, and that forensics were going to have a look at it with a view to lifting some prints.

Fortunately the towbar took the brunt, and almost totally trashed his car. Love towbars, I do. Its the second time in 15 years that one has saved my car from serious damage from a shunt while trashing the offending car. Damage looks like a new bumper and tailgate. I know that there can easily be hidden damage, but that usually appl;ies for frontal damage. he didnt hit the exhaust. which can transfer an impact to the manifold/engine area (much to some peoples surprise) and no other panel damage.

Neck feels a lot stiffer and more tender. I told the ambulance crew that attended that it felt more like a pulled muscle than bone type damage, and they agreed. On their recommendation I didnt go to hospital, but am going to take it a bit easy for a couple of days and I'm taking paracetamol and ibuprofen for it, which seems to be doing the trick. was told to go to doctors if symptoms persist much after a few days.

WTM

BTW, we always have a digital camera with us but he buggered off before we realised what happened.

De Marcus™ 21:12 18 Jun 06

Good stuff WTM, let's hope you get well quickly.

WhiteTruckMan 21:20 18 Jun 06

I'm going to be off work a couple of days through this. As an artic driver most of my driving time is in cities, not motorways (at the moment) and I really do need to be able to see all round to drive safely, and especially with some of the places I have to reverse in. Looks like I might have to use holiday days for this. (dont even think about sick pay!)

WTM

WhiteTruckMan 22:08 18 Jun 06

I called the cops just now and they said that he had been in (to the station) to see them but they couldnt see him as they were tied up on another job, so they've made an appointment for him to come in in the morning and he will be arrested then. apparently its far more civilised to make an appointment to arrest someone than to drag them kicking and screaming from a house. ah well..

Status of his documents is unknown at the moment, but the cops said they will be in touch.

his car apparently only just made it out of sight before grinding to a halt. As i was told, it wasnt fit to roll downhill! Big bonus was a large number of interested bystanders who saw him leg it and were willing to ID him.

so far so good.

WTM

ade.h 22:26 18 Jun 06

Do you have to wait long for an appointment to be arrested?!

We all know how under-staffed and over-worked the police are these days.

I can just imagine our current Home Secretary - I won't name him here because the position will probably have changed hands again by the time I've typed this! - giving a press conference stating that he plans to reduce arrest waiting times. "It's not fair that clients of the police force should have to wait more than 3 months to get a cell".

josie mayhem 22:28 18 Jun 06

10 years ago I had my car totaled by a drink-driver luckly I wasn't in it, as it was parked. the person concerned was arrested 9.30pm on wednesday and couldn't be questioned until 3.30pm on the friday, that when he passed the breathlizer, lost his lience for 12 months and that was the second time he had been caught drink driving...

Mind you I've almost fish-tailed one of our local police cars! approaching lights on the main road, and just before you get to the lights there is a small road that runs paralle to the main road, see the lights coming behind and assumed that they would be going left up the main road, so slowed down so they could over take, and boy was I surprise when the pull stright across the front of my car to take the small road and not around the traffic light to take the main road, missed his tail-end by inches..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…