Got naff all to do with computers

mitsme 12:22 06 May 07

Hi, any help with this issue greatly appreciated.

I have a query about, of all things, trees!
Does anyone know of a site that could give me some info about dealing with atree growing close to the foundations of a house? The tree in question is a Sycamore. I know that these trees are very hardy, and very beautiful.

My main concern is that its roots are growing into the foundations of a house. It's still a sapling but I know from previous experience cutting these trees back makes them grow bigger & hardier. Where the tree is I have no other option but to kill the thing. If I could replant it I would, but it has rooted under concrete.
All help greatly appreciated.

Forum Editor 12:39 06 May 07

cut it down as low as possible, and then drill several holes into the top of the stump.

Fill the holes with a stump killer click here for details of one good product whilst the cuts are fresh, and top up the holes as necessary for a week or so.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:40 06 May 07
  Stuartli 12:51 06 May 07

I have a friend with a similar problem; in this case it's a willow.

The council will not let him cut it down despite the damage being caused to his property and that of neighbours.

A tree surgeon advised him the steps that needed to be taken but the council rep, my friend claims, clearly didn't appreciate the problem or be really aware of the benefits, or otherwise, of trees.

Forum Editor 12:51 06 May 07

(and it is) and is a potential threat to a building's foundations (and it is) there will be no legal implications as far as its removal is concerned.

Forum Editor 12:56 06 May 07

I'm very surprised.

Willow trees pose a serious threat to house foundations, in that the roots aggressively seek water. Of all the trees you don't want near the house a willow heads the list.

This one must be a very big tree for the local authority to enforce a TPO in that way.

All local authorities have a tree officer who will tell you over the phone whether or not you may remove a tree near a building, and unless the tree is particularly rare, or a very large mature specimen, or you live in a conservation area the answer is almost always yes.

Forum Editor 13:02 06 May 07

with regard to Tree Preservation Orders, that a local authority is under no obligation to protect trees in this way - if they don't want to issue Tree preservation orders they don't have to, although they are legally obliged to enforce them, once issued.

Many people are under a misapprehension about the powers of a local authority in this respect, and it's worth noting that if a tree is not visible or accessible from a public place - even slightly - a TPO cannot usually be enforced.

namtas 13:08 06 May 07

For a sapling I would get rid as soon as possible as it increases in size then you will have a problem, I recall some time ago I read of a case with a mature ash tree and that advice was o proceed with caution, and most definitely do not rush to cut it down before seeking proper advice. It is to do with the type of ground that you are on and the level of moisture present in the sub layers which sudden removal would create.

Stuartli 13:45 06 May 07

Thank you for that information, especially the second posting.

I will pass it on to him. He is, of course, both angry and bemused about the council's ruling, especially as the potential damage is serious.

It's about a month since he originally mentioned it and, IIRC, he was given the impression that the council representative was more concerned about the willow not being destroyed than any damage to property.

Forum Editor 15:59 06 May 07

can often create a problem. This is particularly the case in areas that have clay soil, as the removal of the tree can result in a big increase in moisture content in the soil. This can trigger the notorious 'clay heave' which means that the soil expands, causing disturbance to foundations.

Nowadays it's often the practice to insert slabs of polystyrene foam against one wall of a foundation trench before the concrete is poured. The foam acts as an expansion buffer, and allows clay ground to heave without movement on the concrete itself. This is done where the removal of adjacent trees might be a problem.

big bloke66 19:22 06 May 07

Crikey FE is there no limits to your fountain of knowledge.
Im impressed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now