//some 3rd party need geo

Got my new PC up and running. Hooray!

Totally-braindead 11:49 29 Nov 05

My old PC an Athlon 2500+ with 512mb RAM and a GeForce 5900 XT was slowing up a bit when running the latest games so I decided it might be time for a new one.
Chose the MSI K8N SLI motherboard hoping to futureproof the PC for a while at least. Decided to go for 2 Seagate 80 gig SATA drives set up in a striping RAID configuration and a AMD 3500+(mainly due to not be able to afford a dual core CPU just now) with 1 gig DDR setup in 2 x 512mb matched memory. Also chose a MSI 6600GT graphics card and because its a SLI board I hope to put in a second one some time in the future.
Now this is the first time I've used RAID and I must admit I did find the instruction a bit confusing, I must have had to reread it about a dozen times. But that aside once I got to the assembling part it went perfectly, I had no problems at all. And boy its fast, I mean the old PC wasn't slow by any means but this is really quick and I'm delighted. All praise to Novatech, Aria and Crucial (who supplied the memory) for their speedy delivery. Just have to get rid of the old PC now and I'm sorted.
Not really a reason for the posting other than I had to tell someone and no one else in the house is interested. Away to see if I can find the PCA disk with the 3D Mark benchmarking program on it to see what it can really do.

dth 12:26 29 Nov 05

Well done - it is alwaqys a good feeling once everything is set up and running fine.

Devil Fish 12:40 29 Nov 05

congrats on the build

3dmark click here

have fun

Totally-braindead 12:48 29 Nov 05

I've always had some sort of glitch when setting up a new PC, sometimes something a bit loose or whatever usually nothing major but I can honestly say this is the first time everything has gone perfectly. Having said that now it'll probably explode or something. Downloading 3D Mark now as I couldn't find the disk, not one to overclock to get the last bit out of the components or anything just want to see what it says about my PC. Curiousity more than anything.

ade.h 17:18 29 Nov 05

Nice feeling isn't it?! I literally hold my breath when the power button is first pressed.

Obviously not living up to your user name though!

I was in your position twice recently; re-built a friend's PC, and it was so good that I ended up doing my own with virtually the same stuff. It was long overdue too.

Totally-braindead 18:04 29 Nov 05

Think that myself now, I rememeber well how blazingly fast I thought my Athlon 2500+ was when I built it, the unfortunate thing with PCs is whatever you buy now is old in 6 months time that is why I decided to setup with RAID and to have the abilty to use SATA as well as getting a SLI motherboard and when the prices drop I may get a dual processor. Hopefully it'll last me a few years.

ade.h 18:10 29 Nov 05

Ooh, a 2500+ - you were lucky! I adopted the Athlon XP platform when it came out, and had a 1700+ on the old 266 Thoroughbred core with no USB2, no SATA, and AGP 2x. It was fine for most of the last few years, but recent increases in workload made it show its age. I'm hoping that my new P4 640 system will last another four years!

SG Atlantis 18:30 29 Nov 05

A round of applause for you. I haven't been brave enough yet to do my own machine, often thought about it though.

Good luck with your new computer. Hope you never post again ;)

SG A

ps:
(I mean with problems, lol)

ade.h 18:37 29 Nov 05

Give it a go SG. You won't save any money, but that's not the reason for doing it of course. It's the fun you'll have building a bespoke system with bits that you've cherry-picked according to your needs and wants. I have never seen an off-the-shelf desktop PC that has the perfect spec for me. Box-shifters like to put in the fastest CPU and SLI graphics, but forget about more appreciable stuff like soundproofing or case quality. It's nice to have total control over the build process.

SG Atlantis 18:48 29 Nov 05

I bought a compaq few weeks back, it'll do me for the year. I replace once a year as upgrades are pointless, no point mixing old kit with new. I have a year to prepare myself.

Thanks though ade.h I agree with what you're saying choosing this machine was a compromise, I waited a month before actually buying it. If I'd built my own it wouldn't have been.

Hey totally-braindead you should change your name to " (NOT SO) totally-braindead "

:)

x2 zero 20:37 29 Nov 05

Do you think dual core is the way to go if you
can afford it as i am looking for a new pc to
replace my old dinasour.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…