Gordon Brown describes himself as 'ex-politician'

oresome 11:01 31 Oct 13

The description may accurately reflect what he does as a parliamentarian, but we continue to pay him an MPs salary.

The former Labour prime minister, who represents Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath, made the comment as he took part in an education summit in the Gulf state of Qatar.

In any other occupation, the boss would be breathing down your neck asking what you were doing.

spuds 11:11 31 Oct 13

Funny that you should mention Gordon Brown, because his name was mentioned in the House of Lords yesterday, on how he donates quite a bit of 'outside interest' fees to charity, and how 'certain' other Prime minister's might try to follow his example?.

spider9 11:15 31 Oct 13

In fact it was Lord Tebbit, who praised Brown, saying

*"He does not pay tax on the earnings that spring from the things he does as a former prime minister because he gives all those earnings to charity. "Is that not an example which might be followed by other former prime ministers?"*

Presume he was including past Tory PMs as well, in that message.

Aitchbee 15:04 31 Oct 13

I think that Gordon's remark was conveyed in a tongue-in-cheek manner, aimed at an audience which were, perhaps, ignorant to his former high office as Prime Minister.

Describing himself as ex-Prime Minister of Britain would have been rather pompous, I think.

Maybe it was a hint that he intends to 'stand down' as an MP at the next General Election?

Gordon is not a moron.

oresome 16:02 31 Oct 13

Gordon is not a moron.

I believe others within his inner circle fulfilled that role when he was a politician.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…