Google's Street View may face UK suspension

namtas 13:41 04 Jul 08

It is reported that Google Street View may never be seen in UK as the software breaks UK data protection Laws - this because those in the picture have not given consent. The report goes on to say that in their view they need a person consent if they are to show a persons face where it is for commercial gain........ Surely this can not be fact? surely this is not included in the data protection act, if it was TV could never transmit a crowd seen, the news showing the public in a street could not be televised or indeed anything public.

peter99co 15:00 04 Jul 08

We may find that cctv is also contravening the data protection act then. I have never given permission to be on camera either. Who reported this?

Cymro. 15:24 04 Jul 08

I have no idea if it is true or not, but suspect it is not for the reasons already given. But in a mood of being bloody minded I rather wish it was true if only to see the panic in the faces of some of the powers that be trying to find a way round the problem.

interzone55 15:46 04 Jul 08

CCTV cameras do not contravene this act because CCTV systems in public places have to have a warning notice displayed at various points around the area, by passing this notice you have consented to appear on camera.

The notice should indicate who is operating the cameras, and give a contact telephone number.

You should be able to contact the operator and view any footage you appear in, you will need to give the date & time you appeared on candid camera, and be able to tell the operator the location of the camera that concerns you.

As for Google Street View, they have been filming streets throughout various cities without asking for permission - no warning notices you see, that's the important point.

As for TV, as long as you are just walking past the camera it's OK, you are not the subject so are likely to be either out of focus, or only fleetingly visible, if you are concerned about TV fame, and it's not a live broadcast simply speak to the crew & they'll blur you out.

namtas 16:30 04 Jul 08

alan14

Are you quoting from a code of practise? In my home town there must at a guess be 200 plus road mounted CCTV cameras mounted at almost every junction and street corner, I may have been sleep walking but I can not recall ever seeing any street level warning signs, or being made aware of the information that you refer to, I shall certainly now have a keener eye. With regard to TV broadcasting I think that you are smudging the reality, I am not referring of the just walking past the camera shot but of the hundred and one action shots that we see and are able to identify fellow citizens every day as we watch news items or indeed as we watch any public gathering.

Managing ed 16:41 04 Jul 08

click here&

But I look forward to watching loads of pixelated faces walking around the streets. There's a Google van in north London right now, according to reports...

Mike D 16:52 04 Jul 08

I have CCTV at work and because one camera can just about capture images of people on the street (if they walk with 6 inches of the front window) I had to register with the Information Commissioner under the Data Protection Act. Apparently I do not have to tell people outside that they may be on camera, and if the camera only captured images of people on the premises I would not have had to register at all.

interzone55 17:30 04 Jul 08

The DPA in relation to CCTV is complicated, but new, slightly simpler, but more comprehensive system comes into force in October.

To put it as simply as possible, if you have a CCTV system in a small business or shop, and it's monitoring the stock, but people may wander into view, the there is no need to register with the DPA, but you do need to put up signage.

If the system is monitoring people there must be signage, and it has to be registered with the DPA.
The signage should be prominent, but doesn't have to be plastered everywhere.

If anyone wants a copy of the current DPA code of contact for CCTV let me know, I'll email it to you.

spuds 22:08 04 Jul 08

The DPA seems to be a jumble of things that the commissioner seems to state "each on its own merit!".

A number of years ago, I was photographed rather secretly in my employment role. The photographs were used to promote a musical recording and events. I and my employer looked into this 'unauthorised' act, and we drew a total blank from the so called protectors of civil liberties. I couldn't even claim royalties or copyrights, only embarrassment :O(

rickf 23:17 04 Jul 08

Has the world gone mad?????

rickf 23:17 04 Jul 08

or to be precise has the UK gone mad???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…