Google Maps

Al94 21:27 PM 12 Dec 12

I was in our local Apple store yesterday looking at Ipads and noticed their new mapping application which has received some criticism. However on the plus side I was very impressed with the coverage and quality of their satellite imagery which in my area was very recent (within 2 years) and covered a much larger area in greater detail.

Comparing this tonight with Google Earth and Google maps the local imagery dates back to 2001 and many areas have no detailed coverage at all.

Strikes me that Google are being left behind somewhat.

N47. 21:55 PM 12 Dec 12

Apple, I believe, are in partnership with TomTom and others on this. If it is anything like my TomTom you could have some exciting excursions.

Woolwell 21:57 PM 12 Dec 12

Apple Maps was terrible when it first came out with many areas without detailed coverage. It has improved though and most of UK is now fine but no street view.

Forum Editor 22:29 PM 12 Dec 12

"Strikes me that Google are being left behind somewhat."

Google maps on my iPad is far better than the new Apple offering. I was in Provence in June/July of this year, and used my iPad to navigate from the airport to the remote farmhouse where I had to meet some people. I was amazed to find that not only did Google maps deliver me right to the front gate, but that it had a street view image of the farmhouse.

The new Apple application can't touch Google maps for detail and accuracy- at least not yet.

Al94 23:03 PM 12 Dec 12

It was the satellite imagery. I was referring to. 11 years ahead in my area.

morddwyd 08:03 AM 13 Dec 12

Google maps native app just been announced for iSrore

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20694028

canarieslover 09:16 AM 13 Dec 12

Just don't go visiting Australia with Apple Maps as your guide!! Police warning

interzone55 10:25 AM 13 Dec 12

It's not all satellite imagery on Google Maps and the various other services.

As you zoom in Google maps switches to photos taken from aeroplanes, and as you can probably imagine, it's not a cheap or quick job to photograph the major populated areas of the world.

Aitchbee 15:16 PM 14 Dec 12

I was on the bus yesterday, the young woman sitted /seated in front had a green jacket on ...with a lined tartan-street-plan-look-pattern ... reminded me of a google maps screen ... you heard it here first.

Woolwell 17:23 PM 14 Dec 12

I have Apple Maps and Google Maps and for a quick check I put in a simple route on both. Apple directions were via a narrow and closed lane. Google directions were correct.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…