Google map, is it just me or have they made some changes?

Blackhat 14 Aug 12

It always used to open up showing the whole UK, now when I open it shows my town fairly close in. Are they using ISP info or IP address, how does it know where I live?

Woolwell 14 Aug 12

It uses your current location. Oddly I have gone back to whole of UK and don't know why.

john bunyan 14 Aug 12

How does it know your location? I have never told it where I am so mine shows whole of UK, even with a fixed IP

interzone55 14 Aug 12

Google can tell your location from ISP data.

Interestingly today, whilst I sit here in Rochdale it thinks I'm in France. Yesterday, whilst I was in Morecambe it thought I was in Rumania.

Both times I was connected to my work network, via VPN. My employers host computer is somewhere in the depths of North Dakota.

Maybe you can easily confuse Google...

KRONOS the First 14 Aug 12

Up here in Edinburgh I am usually shown to be somewhere in the West Midlands.

Forum Editor 14 Aug 12

The first time you used Google maps your browser would have asked if you were happy to share your location with Google.

If you clicked 'yes' you gave Google permission to use your browser's geolocation feature to work out where you are. If that sounds like your situation you can turn the facility off. The way you do it depends on which browser you use, so look in the settings options.

Blackhat 14 Aug 12

OK Firstly I am not too bothered by the change, just curious as it has happened overnight and I haven’t clicked on anything allowing Google to share my location or did so in the past.

This is not the case with the office pc’s at work, just my home pc?

Having selected ‘never allow web site to request your location’ in settings and then did a clear followed by putting Google map in the block list no change!

I will leave it as it is for now but still curious as to how Google do it and as with some who have posted here how they also get it wrong?

morddwyd 14 Aug 12

If, like me, you synch your Goggle account with your mobile and you have GPS switched on it's perhaps somehow possible that they know where you are.

interzone55 14 Aug 12

morddwyd

That's a good point...

Blackhat 14 Aug 12

I don't synch with my mobile or have GPS? As I have said before it has only happened overnight on my home pc?

Forum Editor 14 Aug 12

Google can track you via your mobile phone, as already indicated, and there is a PC version of the software that enables them to do it, but you have to opt in for that to happen, and you've already said you didn't do that.

You can be tracked via wireless hot spots too, if you use them, but that's normally going to happen when you're using a laptop or tablet.

If you haven't enabled the tracking option in your browser for Google maps I'm at a loss to explain the reason it's happening.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

How Instagram spots trends

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message