Google has decided

Forum Editor 20:29 22 Mar 10

to discontinue censoring its content in China.

click here

That the Chinese government will react is certain - how it will react remains to be seen.

morddwyd 20:57 22 Mar 10

Interesting development.

GANDALF <|:-)> 22:27 22 Mar 10

They are currently not in the best of humours and the leaders appear to have faces like smacked backsides.

spikeychris 22:27 22 Mar 10

There are times when things just get right.

jakimo 04:20 23 Mar 10

As someone with personnel knowledge of the Chinese,and knowing how they seek knowledge through the Internet would the average net user see this latest Google action as US interference against their government or see it as removing the restrictions on the freedom of information,
something they don't appear to have much of.

Legolas 08:59 23 Mar 10

I would like to think that google are doing this to preserve freedom of speech/information in China and not because the USA government have put pressure on them to do it, but the cynic in me is not convinced

Paul-1379466 09:07 23 Mar 10

I'm glad I live in good old Blighty.

WhiteTruckMan 09:13 23 Mar 10

that google have done this in retaliation for the (possibly state sponsored) hacking attempts against gmail. Claims about being unhappy with the censorship issue, while probably true, are merely convenient excuses.

WTM

Forum Editor 11:41 23 Mar 10

of money from its Chinese operation........at the moment.

The potential for the future is huge however, and not even Google can afford to ignore it.

MAJ 11:57 23 Mar 10

Who cares, I don't. If the Chinese don't like what their government does, they should change it, either peacefully or otherwise. A little revolution every now and then is a good thing.

spikeychris 12:28 23 Mar 10

I genuinely believe Google nearly killed the net. The whole ethos, culture and philosophy of the Internet was under threat and as an organisation Google got so big it thought it can do what it wanted whist driving this home with the pseudo pretext of being inside looking out nonsense.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017