Google is doing an 'autodetect' on your location

lotvic 15:03 12 Nov 10
Answered

Anybody else noticed that Google does an 'autodetect' on your location?
I just noticed in left of google results window that it has listed the town where it thinks I am.
Google explains how click here

"Automatically detected location
To provide you with the most relevant results, Google attempts to automatically detect your location and customize results based on that detected location. A location that's labeled "Auto-detected" is chosen based on the following factors:

* Your IP address .
* Google Toolbar's My Location feature. If you have Google Toolbar installed and have the My Location feature enabled, your approximate location (if detected) will be used to customize your search results. If you don't want Toolbar to attempt to determine your approximate location, you can turn off My Location"

"The customization of search results based on location is an important component of a consistent, high-quality search experience. Therefore, we haven't provided a way to turn off location customization."

I don't have the google toolbar.
I am not comforable with google doing that, somehow it feels like an intrusion if I can't choose.

lotvic 15:05 12 Nov 10

comforable = comfortable

wiz-king 15:11 12 Nov 10

I find lots of sites do that. It is very annoying when I log in to my usual South African blog site and get a load of UK adverts, I like to have ones from SA.

Forum Editor 18:06 12 Nov 10

for a long time.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:19 12 Nov 10
Answer

It has me 40 miles away..hey ho back to worrying about Martians and Men in Black.

G

rdave13 18:30 12 Nov 10

Just tried it but it's blank. Don't have Google toolbar though.

Forum Editor 18:33 12 Nov 10

It was given to me by someone I worked with in Beijing. It has the name of a Chinese airline at the top, and some Chinese characters, which I was told mean: "For the official use of all (name of airline)flight deck crew."

It shows London and Newcastle transposed.

I look at it from time to time and smile, and I did so just now, after I read GANDALF <|:-)>'s post.

morddwyd 21:08 12 Nov 10

What I find fascinating, and quite clever, though I'm sure the mechanics are simple, is the way the adverts quickly reflect the subject of any thread.

For instance, the energy price thread carries adverts from all the energy companies.

Forum Editor 22:58 12 Nov 10

The mechanics are quite simple, once it's all set up.

I bet that during your many trips to China, you try and avoid that particular airline!

Forum Editor 08:42 13 Nov 10

I used it once on the London to Beijing part of the trip, and was given my in-flight meal (noodles) wrapped up in a piece of kitchen foil. I decided to call it a day, and haven't used them since.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…