Google, Dell in computer tie-up

ajm 22:46 25 May 06
  Mr Mistoffelees 09:21 26 May 06

Well in the unlikely event I buy a Dell, I prefer to self build, that will be more unwanted software to uninstall before using the PC.

anskyber 09:22 26 May 06

I'm glad I bought my Dell in time then. It was a pain getting rid of the unwanted pre-installed software as it is with three, yes three, different companies all wanting me to use their BB service.

I also found that I could I could not even get the PC to go past the opening screen without agreeing to use the trial anti virus programme installed. Needless to say it has been long gone after the first day.

I am sure Dell know what they are doing but for me they are annoying me to death (not quite I hope!) with the invasive set ups.

Jackcoms 11:33 26 May 06

"It was a pain getting rid of the unwanted pre-installed software"

Really??

When I bought a Dell laptop last year for my daughter to take to University, it took me no more than a few minutes using Add/Remove Programs.

anskyber 16:11 26 May 06

I see yes, that certainly would be the route I would have chosen if I did not want to find out what it was I intending to delete. The anti virus was easy although I do object to the way it was presented as a "must agree" or I do not pass go. I assure you it was and it could not be circumvented by other actions. I imagine those with better knowledge than me (not difficult as far as PCs are concerned)could have worked around it but the less initiated are not so fortunate.

My point is that if companies want to offer free software let them charge £1 more and provide them on a disc for the purchaser to choose from. I have a choice with PCA each month with their free software so why not with PCs. Well, I know why not because it does not fit the sellers needs. That said I am delighted with my Dell.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…