Google Chrome OS takes on Windows

simonjary 07:29 08 Jul 09

Google has announced that it is to launch its own operating system Chrome on computers next year:
click here&

wiz-king 08:15 08 Jul 09

Oh dear - the mafia is taking over (:-)

dms_05 08:44 08 Jul 09

wiz-king - what a negative reaction to what appears a genuine attempt to introduce an OS that isn't based on old, heavy, non-internet friendly and ancient code, as found on all current personal computers. A new lightweight, fast and largely invisible OS seems a perfect product to me!

Stuartli 09:21 08 Jul 09

It's a joke...:-)))

laurie53 09:37 08 Jul 09

If it bears the same comparison as Chrome v IE it will be like a breath of fresh air.

sunnystaines 12:46 08 Jul 09

might help bring down the cost of windows 7

OTT_Buzzard 13:22 08 Jul 09

I still have a deep distrust of open source apps and operating systems. I can't get the thought out of my head that if one ever properly takes off into the mainstream that it will be open to abuse on an unprecedented scale.

Charence 15:06 08 Jul 09

Have faith.. :P

It is probably better to have visible flaws, so someone can fix them, than to just simply cover them up, hoping nobody will discover them?

D@ve 15:53 08 Jul 09

I think you could consider Firefox mainstream by now, with about 1 in 4 users using it, and that hasn't been abused.

octal 19:56 08 Jul 09

I can't see what all the hype is about, quite a few people have been using an alternative OS to Windows for years, it's called Unix in the guise of either Linux or the Mac OS both a derivative of Unix, I can hardly imagine Google are making anything ground breaking here by developing a new operating system when one has been around for years.

laurie53 20:09 08 Jul 09

Depends how simple it is.

I have tried Linux on a couple of occasions and found that it was not for me.

If the new o/s is a simple GUI the transferring to it should be as easy as was transferring to Windows from the early GUIs such as, in my case, the Amiga.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced