The Goodyear Blimk --Very active just now

SparkyJack 15:41 22 Jun 12
Answered

The Goodyear Blimp seems to be very active just now in this area. It seems to have two routes.

Coming across the Thames into Kent- from North to South it is following the M25 gets to above my house and turns back whence it came

This appears to be the most common approach, though it did come from South to North before once again seemingly getting to by location and turning back.

Hey are they looking for me?

I guess not it is simply my location is more or less equidistant from the M25 and the near by DVH hospital a potential landmark

I guess it is all the do with the dreaded 'o' in 30 odd days time

What will its function be I wonder- camara platform or security?

canarieslover 17:02 22 Jun 12

I believe it is based on Thurrock - Havering border and gives tourist trips. From recollection this is about the fourth year it has been doing this, though it seems to be for a longer duration this year. I did see it up in the Midlands at Easter though it is possible that there is more than one blimp as a couple days later I saw it over the Thames area.

SparkyJack 17:10 22 Jun 12

There must be several because in Googling the other day I came across a story of how one crashed in Germany last year killing the pilot.

spuds 18:09 22 Jun 12

I haven't seen them about for years, but if they are in the M25 corridor, perhaps they are getting some practice in for the forthcoming Olympics?.

Woolwell 19:37 22 Jun 12

I think that one has been hired by an American TV station to cover the Olympics.

Woolwell 19:41 22 Jun 12
Answer

Their site Goodyear Blimp gives all of the details and the pilot's log tells you what they have been up to in the previous week.

SparkyJack 08:05 23 Jun 12

Thanks Woolwell for the link

I noticed the the pilot logged various visits to places of interest,among them Bluewater. I thought at first 'Oh no it didn't it missed it by 500m when it flew near me'.

Then I realized of course to see anything from the windows of the gondola it would have to be some distance to one side of the target

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5