Good recommended an easy 'weeder' ?

spuds 13:16 28 May 13
Answered

Due to the recent many weather changes, we have a substantial increase of weeds and grass areas that want clearing. We have tried a number of the 'off the shelf' products with a negative or only partial positive results.

What we are looking for, is a product that is available to the public that will do a good clearance job, and at the same time be pet friendly.

My local council use a product, usually via a person going around with a sprayer device mounted on a quad bike. This product seems to clear most things for at least 6 months, but according to the operator, its only available to licensed holders/users.

Can you suggest any such product?.

wiz-king 13:28 28 May 13

Progreen is where I get my roundup from.

fourm member 13:59 28 May 13

I'm using the Roundup sprayer being advertised on TV. It overcomes the problem of getting a sore thumb from the previous designs.

It does take a time to work and some areas need repeat treatments but it is easier to use than trying to dig everything up.

The instructions do say keep pets away. I think you're going to have to decide between banning your pet(s) from the garden for a couple of weeks and putting up with having weeds.

Any herbicide that says it is pet friendly may not have the strength to do a proper job.

lotvic 14:08 28 May 13

I agree, get one that is Glyphosate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyphosate "In many cities, glyphosate is sprayed along the sidewalks and streets, as well as crevices in between pavement where weeds often grow. "

wiz-king 17:51 28 May 13

Weather makes it difficult - need a dry wind free day to put it on then a wet day to wash the excess off to make it safe for the animals.

spuds 18:04 28 May 13
Answer

Thanks everyone for the advice given.

Since the original post, a number of things have occured. First, we have been in direct touch with the council, and they have given us a couple of contact details. Secondly, having rechecked, I have used glyphosate in the past, but this was a supply from the local garden centre which appears to be a pre-mixture of 7.2 g/l glyphosate. Roundup Pro contains 360 g/l.

As I mentioned earlier, we have tried other 'off the shelf' products in the past with varied results, including mixtures of Sodium Chlorate 14.04 g/l.

I'll tick this as resolved, look further into Roundup, possibly make a couple of telephone calls and go from there.

recap 14:37 29 May 13

I generally chop the weeds down and wait until there is new growth, then spray them. [Deep Root][1]

[1]: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Growing-Success-Ultra-Stump-Killer/dp/B0052CHJSW/ref=sr13?ie=UTF8&qid=1369834531&sr=8-3&keywords=tree%20stump%20and%20root%20killer is a good weed killer, bought from other suppliers as well.

recap 14:39 29 May 13

I generally chop the weeds down and wait until there is new growth, then spray them. [Deep Root][ [1]: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Growing-Success-Ultra-Stump-Killer/dp/B0052CHJSW/ref=sr13?ie=UTF8&qid=1369834531&sr=8-3&keywords=tree%20stump%20and%20root%20killer]

is a good weed killer, bought from other suppliers as well.

recap 14:40 29 May 13

I generally chop the weeds down and wait until there is new growth, then spray them. [Deep Root][: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Growing-Success-Ultra-Stump-Killer/dp/B0052CHJSW/ref=sr13?ie=UTF8&qid=1369834531&sr=8-3&keywords=tree%20stump%20and%20root%20killer]

is a good weed killer, bought from other suppliers as well.

BT 08:58 30 May 13

I usually use Pathclear which has a long lasting effect (6 months) especially on gravel or shingle paths and drives. According to the info it is safe once its dried.

Products containing Glyphosate usually say that they are inactivated on contact with the soil. I usually keep the cat indoors for a couple of hours after using weedkillers just for safety's sake, and so far he's not come to any harm.

Bing.alau 10:24 30 May 13

Many of us are waiting for someone to invent something that will kill these damned Horses Tails or whatever they are called. The root system on them is more intricate than the wires on the back of my computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…