A good idea

Kate B 15:52 19 Nov 06

Geeks on Wheels: click here

A very nice website and I'm sure we've wondered if actually charging for sorting out our friends' and relatives' computers might be a way to make a bit of cash on the side, but what do you think about the rates, bearing in mind they're operating in London and the Home Counties? They seem to be on a par with an emergency plumber or electrician, which people grit their teeth and pay.

octal 16:05 19 Nov 06

Me thinks I'm in the wrong job!

I must admit, I've just tried Google to see if there are any adverse reports about them, but none was returned, so if they do the job I expect people don't mind paying that charge.

oresome 16:17 19 Nov 06

Interesting that most of the work isn't attempted on the premises.

Collected and "aimed" to be returned in 3 days.

Might as well drop it off somewhere and save on the expensive courier service.

grumpygramp 16:29 19 Nov 06

Round the Eastbourne area the rates vary over wide spectrum £15 and hour £20 per half our the best one being £35 flat fee with no fix no fee .An independent shop charges £100 for a Re-install .

anskyber 16:58 19 Nov 06

Do you fancy cleaning up in Cumbria? (just a joke honest!)

spuds 16:58 19 Nov 06

Rather pay for an emergency plumber or electrian (but the house insurance covers that), than a geek collecting my computer at those prices. Far cheaper in my area.

Impressive website though. Something that you would expect from a modern day geek IT company.

Looking at the vehicle display and set-up, is this a franchise or possible future franchise enterprise!.

How did you find this Kate B, casual browsing or someone you know?.

anskyber 17:03 19 Nov 06

On a more serious note it's probably slightly more than you might get if you shop around.

On the other hand, as you have pointed out, the charges are not too far away from the normal charges of the other normal domestic appliances.

I have just paid £105 for a standard domestic boiler service (oil. Helping friends and family does at least have the advantage of not including a requirement to succeed.

Forum Editor 18:46 19 Nov 06

I notice their terms and conditions includes a liability disclaimer for just about everything that might happen to a computer whilst it's in their hands.

I'll watch their progress with interest, but I have a gut feeling (probably wrong) that this isn't going to set the world alight.

Kate B 18:46 19 Nov 06

I spotted it in I think T3, spuds.

rodriguez 19:07 19 Nov 06

I could go round doing that job! Shame I live 120 miles from London and I don't know of any companies by me that do that sort of thing... :-P

rodriguez 19:09 19 Nov 06

One more problem...I can't drive :-( I'd have to sit in the back and let my mate do the driving.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…