Good Book "The Etymologicon" FE Will like this one I think

Bing.alau 11:04 AM 01 Aug 12

I am enjoying reading a Kindle book so much that I thought others on the forum might like to buy it. I think it cost me all of 99 pence. It is called "The Etymologicon" (a Circular Stroll through the Hidden Connections of the English Language) by Mark Forsyth.

I am not an agent for Kindle or Amazon, I just think this is the type of book that some of you will enjoy reading, it is written in what I call short bursts, so that a chapter can be read and put down or, you can read as much as you like.

Bing.alau 17:52 PM 01 Aug 12

I thought somebody would be interested in this. Maybe there are no readers on the forum.

ams4127 20:59 PM 01 Aug 12

I never buy books I can't pronounce!

wiz-king 21:06 PM 01 Aug 12

We are all hunting our book of words to find out what it's about!

Bing.alau 21:19 PM 01 Aug 12

It's a book about just that "Words"... where they originate from etc. I was astounded to find the words of the American National Anthem come from a very unusual source. The book is still available on the Amazon Kindle pages, but it may not still be available at 99 pence, then again it may be, because they are having a sale at the moment.

Aitchbee 21:20 PM 01 Aug 12

...the meaning of the 'big' E word is a ' skoosh-case '.

Brumas 22:50 PM 01 Aug 12

wiz-king I have book-marked that site and will enjoy dipping into it, I quite like unusual words and boy, are there some on that site!

Forum Editor 00:22 AM 02 Aug 12

"I think it cost me all of 99 pence"

Then you're a very lucky man - the Kindle version is currently priced at £6:23.

Bing.alau 10:57 AM 02 Aug 12

It must have been only on the one day then. I'm certainly enjoying it. I've just found out where the word "Bluetooth" originates from.

rdave13 11:03 AM 02 Aug 12

Harald "Bluetooth" Gormsson.

Bing.alau 11:39 AM 02 Aug 12

wiz-king. I have also bookmarked that one. Thanks for that. But if you get the chance have a read of this book by Forsyth. It may be available in a library of course, I tend to forget about those places. (Kindle's fault I suppose).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to watch Adobe Max 2015: See Adobe unveil new Creative Cloud features for Photoshop,…

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…