Good Book "The Etymologicon" FE Will like this one I think

Bing.alau 01 Aug 12

I am enjoying reading a Kindle book so much that I thought others on the forum might like to buy it. I think it cost me all of 99 pence. It is called "The Etymologicon" (a Circular Stroll through the Hidden Connections of the English Language) by Mark Forsyth.

I am not an agent for Kindle or Amazon, I just think this is the type of book that some of you will enjoy reading, it is written in what I call short bursts, so that a chapter can be read and put down or, you can read as much as you like.

Bing.alau 01 Aug 12

I thought somebody would be interested in this. Maybe there are no readers on the forum.

ams4127 01 Aug 12

I never buy books I can't pronounce!

wiz-king 01 Aug 12

We are all hunting our book of words to find out what it's about!

Bing.alau 01 Aug 12

It's a book about just that "Words"... where they originate from etc. I was astounded to find the words of the American National Anthem come from a very unusual source. The book is still available on the Amazon Kindle pages, but it may not still be available at 99 pence, then again it may be, because they are having a sale at the moment.

Aitchbee 01 Aug 12

...the meaning of the 'big' E word is a ' skoosh-case '.

Brumas 01 Aug 12

wiz-king I have book-marked that site and will enjoy dipping into it, I quite like unusual words and boy, are there some on that site!

Forum Editor 02 Aug 12

"I think it cost me all of 99 pence"

Then you're a very lucky man - the Kindle version is currently priced at £6:23.

Bing.alau 02 Aug 12

It must have been only on the one day then. I'm certainly enjoying it. I've just found out where the word "Bluetooth" originates from.

rdave13 02 Aug 12

Harald "Bluetooth" Gormsson.

Bing.alau 02 Aug 12

wiz-king. I have also bookmarked that one. Thanks for that. But if you get the chance have a read of this book by Forsyth. It may be available in a library of course, I tend to forget about those places. (Kindle's fault I suppose).

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message