Good Advice, Bad Advice

eds720 16:07 14 Apr 05

Hi

I'm looking into buying a new pc system for my home (also looking at the whole WiFi, home entertainment kit as well).

But I've visited a few local stores near me and I haven't been convinced by the store staff that I'm buying the right kit for my needs. i.e. is it worth spending the extra? Apart from performance I'm struggling to see the differences.

Can anyone reccomend a good store chain to go to or are they all a load of *&@# ?

Or does anyone know anywhere I can get good PC buying advice ?

thanks

pj123 16:44 14 Apr 05

Don't know where you live but try this one.

click here

Diemmess 16:54 14 Apr 05

Word of mouth recommendation from a trusted source

Commonsense, (you probably have more knowledge than the average carton seller in a computer chainstore),

Don't overlook the possibility of a computer shop in your locality where if you are lucky you will find real help, and the mark-up makes the total almost the same as a discount net supplier plus courier charges....... They do exist. One in my nearest small town opened <a year ago and knocks spots off the overpriced indifference that existed among his rivals slightly further afield.

ade.h 17:08 15 Apr 05

fourm member's suggestion is very good; I do that myself, as the PC stores in my nearest town are not exactly standard-setting. Some of the staff were a bit late in coming down from the trees, I think!

Elyse 17:39 15 Apr 05

Have you considered ordering online??? I bought my Toshiba Sattelite online -- it was significantly less expensive than at the store.

eds720 16:46 18 Apr 05

Thanks but I need to decide what I want to purchase before I order it - hence my problem - getting good advice ?

ade.h 17:22 18 Apr 05

I understand your problem; it can be very tricky to find a good, reliable product that meets your needs and won't give hell when it meets another piece of hardware or software in your PC.

The best tip I can give is to research potential products by looking at manufacturer's websites and then put a particular product into a search engine to find reviews. There are lots of websites that give good independent reviews of PC products, with a lot more info than you tend to get from most PC mags. Most hardcore internet reviewers tend to find shortcomings and compatibility issues that would otherwise go unnoticed (or at least conveniently unmentioned).

Joe R 18:07 18 Apr 05

click here

click here

If it is a digital home system you are looking for, you may find these links interesting.

Joe R 18:08 18 Apr 05

P.S.

both are highly recommended by most of the P.C. mags available.

jack 09:54 19 Apr 05

How about this

Having done your research/wishlist, and having prepared a definitive specification.

Seekout a local shop or local systems builder
to build it for you with your preferred components
or even - build it your self.

I did this 3years ago with this beast.
Yes She is a bit long in the tooth now but handles
all my needs faultlessly [What am i saying! I hope she did not hear ] and I have just a few monents ago ordered from Crucial a little present .

What I did
I sought out a systems builder [located on a trading estate nearby]- who deal in local authority and businesses in the main.
They took my spec. ordered the parts. and 'held my hand' whilst I built it, with the promise to de bug if need be. as it happened it was not needed.
Subsequetly about a year later - a trojan crept in,, and defied my attempts to dislodge, they for a modest fee cleared the disk and re loaded- which I then did not know how to do - but I do now.
j

amonra 15:20 28 Apr 05

I can only concur with "Jack" ^
It's not all that difficult and anyone with a little common sense should cope. There are plenty of articles on the web to assist, (I like PCWorld.com ), they have some excellent advice for newbies. First and foremost, dont try to build a super-dooper, 10 zillion G flying machine if you only need it to perform the mundane tasks such as EM, Word processing and the like. If, by the sound of it you are interested in home entertainment, spend the money on good quality sound and video cards. The actual CPU speed is not THAT important. If you dont fancy home-built, get to know your local small businessman, or someone at your local tech. college, they are often keen to help amateurs.
Good luck and have fun.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…