Gold that's not hallmarked....

dagnammit 15:08 25 May 09

I've got a necklace, quite a chunky one, which I'm certain is gold. How do I get it verified?

Any advice appreciated.

Jim Thing 15:15 25 May 09
  Jim Thing 15:21 25 May 09

That link (above) was one that Google turned up. I've just read the piece and discovered that (a) it's American and (b) it's written in a kind of near-English. So it may not be too useful after all. Sorry...

Jim Thing 15:28 25 May 09

click here gives more information, especially in Step 3.

dagnammit 15:28 25 May 09

I've been googling myself and came across it.

WhiteTruckMan 15:47 25 May 09

One of the most powerful women attracting agents know to man.

WTM

interzone55 17:24 25 May 09

Take it to a decent jewellers (not one of the high street chains), they can test it for you...

click here

bluto1 19:08 25 May 09

Find out where the nearest assay office is to you and take it there.

Diemmess 18:31 26 May 09

I think best value for your money will be a jeweller.

Bullion dealers will charge for a melt and therefore an average when buying scrap gold.

The Assay ofice usually receives marked precious metal with a claim that it is say 9, 12, 18 carat.
When they test the shiney new object, their sole puirpose is to check the claim.
If it is as stated, then OK and it is hallmarked.

If it is not then the piece is destroyed, though the now scrap material is returned to the owner!

Around the jewellery quarter in B'ham all sorts of jewellery was made between friends which never bore a hallmark because this would then have to be accounted for tax!

Stuartli 22:27 26 May 09

Don't ask Gordon Brown - he had no idea of how much gold was going to be worth...:-)

dagnammit 10:02 27 May 09

Indeed. I just sold a load of bits of gold for more than I paid :)

The necklace according to a local jeweller is plated so I have it here, with no apparent value :( I got it for free so I can't complain really.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5