Going to get yourself an Hinglish dictionary then?

TOPCAT® 14:42 08 Nov 06

Have just spent two idyllic weeks in Mexico trying miserably to get my tongue around Spanish, I return home to find a new dictionary has been published here called "The Queen's Hinglish." It is a hybrid of English and south Asian languages and the thought of trying to decipher an 'Hinglish' conversation in the future leaves me cold. They say you're never too old to learn, but I'm afraid I beg to differ on this one!! :o) TC.

click here

DrScott 14:48 08 Nov 06

has been around in my wife's family for years!

Sethhaniel 14:49 08 Nov 06

we drop our 'H's ere ;)

johndrew 15:03 08 Nov 06

Ahh, but at least in South America you are spared all the `th th ths` that are necessary in Spain!!!

TOPCAT® 16:49 08 Nov 06

So that's where I went wrong, dagnammit!! :o)) TC.

BT 08:37 09 Nov 06

The link to the BBC article is very interesting and I have no problem with the introduction of 'new' words into the English language, after all many of our words have been 'imported' as it were. What really annoys me is the way so many people including Newsreaders and reporters on TV and Radio cannot distinguish the difference between 'BOUGHT' and BROUGHT'

jack 09:22 09 Nov 06

Well of course the 'English' we speak is a polyglot language of all tongues familiar words to us are derived from other places either in 'pure' form or modified- a few examples from one part of the globe two words only will exemplify it -where do Bungalow,Pajamas come from?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…