Glowing bugs could find landmines

peter99co 13:54 16 Nov 09

click here

This anti-mine sensor is a great example of how innovation in science can be of benefit to wider society.

It is hoped this gets into production. Could save countless lives.

wee eddie 15:01 16 Nov 09

but not much use in a grass field or ditch

peter99co 15:17 16 Nov 09

Glowing bugs.

interzone55 17:26 16 Nov 09

"Edinburgh University said the microbes could be dropped by air onto danger areas."

If you make the bacteria really heavy they could set off all the landmines thus removing the need to defuse them...

PP321 17:31 16 Nov 09

"Edinburgh University said the microbes could be dropped by air onto danger areas."

If you make the bacteria really heavy they could set off all the landmines thus removing the need to defuse them...

If they did that, the plane wouldnt get off the ground.

spuds 19:03 16 Nov 09

I doubt if 'all' types of mines would be located by this method, and even if they were, it would be a case of finding the funds for clearance. Perhaps a lot cheaper, better and quicker than the 'on knees' or 'rat on a string' method!.

morddwyd 19:46 16 Nov 09

It would take a couple of hours, perhaps as long as a couple of days, for other scientists to come up with an explosive to which these microbes did not react.

It might be useful for helping to clear old, unmapped minefields in such places as North Africa or the Falklands.

canarieslover 19:52 16 Nov 09

These bugs are obviously a lot more useful than the ones that most computer users come accross!!!

peter99co 22:17 16 Nov 09

A proper field trial by experienced bomb disposal teams (using unprimed devices ) will reveal some of the the answers. Even conventional systems have pitfalls.

peter99co 22:26 16 Nov 09

That's as good as witchcraft. How clever of the U.S. to bewitch the operators before they left.

I use Mild Steel devining rods and can detect metal objects under the soil to a depth of about a foot. (underground pipes) I do not know how it works but I thought it was water I had found until they said the pipe had burst and the pipe was dry.

morddwyd 20:31 17 Nov 09

The tried and trusted methods are the best.

You put your prisoners on mine clearance.

(Don't throw up your hands in shock horror. If it's a choice between giving the job to a guy who might have to save your life in the next few weeks or a guy who has been trying to take it for the last few, it's fairly obvious which you should choose.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac