Glasses and a TFT monitor

Totally-braindead 15:20 19 Feb 05

This may seem an odd question but bear with me. I've got a 17" TFT monitor and its terrific, very pleased with it but, today I went and got my eyes tested and discovered I needed glasses and what a difference its made I'm really pleased with them. How long I've been going about seeing life in a blur I don't know. Anyway when I look at the monitor with the glasses on the screen looks as if its tilting forward at the top and even if I move it further back at the top or the bottom it makes no difference the screen still looks to me as if its on a slant. So the question I have is, is this normal, will my eyes adjust and the screen become vertical again, is it the glasses or is it something to do with TFTs? I can easily use the computer without glasses and thats what I'm doing just now but its strange, the glasses are just normal lenses by the way not bifocals or anything like that. Anyone else just got glasses and noticed anything like this?

GibsonSt19 15:26 19 Feb 05

Not the monitor.

You should notice that after a few days usage, all will return to its normal shape, however whenever you take your glasses off for a while after using the PC, you may find your eyes feel very fatigued.

This should only happen for a while, until your eyes get used to being worked harder by the glasses.

Dunno what's up with my eyes, but when I wear my glasses, the screen turns into a slight parallelogram (can't be bothered checking spelling). All's fine after a few hours though :)

Totally-braindead 15:44 19 Feb 05

Thank you for that GibsonSt19 it may have seemed to be a daft question but I've never had glasses before and I suppose I didn't know what to expect.

Fellsider 16:22 19 Feb 05

I wear varifocals and after reading this thread I have noticed that the sides curve outwards very slightly but not enought to bother me unduly.

I think that GibsonSt19 is right, you will eventually get used to any slight differences as you continue to wear them.

Totally-braindead 16:34 19 Feb 05

Thank you guys you've put my mind at rest, a bit anyway.

Djohn 16:35 19 Feb 05

Just to be on the safe side I would have a word with your optician. I've worn specs for quite a few years now and remember one particular incident four or five years back. Picked up new specs and they seemed fine but noticed over a few days how the verticals at the both edges of both lenses sloped away slightly, as though they were leaning over.

Went back and it was found that I needed a different type of glass than normal. Not sure now which way round it is [Memory fading] but most lenses are made with a straight or flat glass, some are made with a slightly curved glass, might be the other way round. This is looking at the front of the lens and not the rear which is ground to give the correct prescription

The difference in the glass is very slight and difficult to notice unless you place both lenses side by side, but it is there. Your TFT should look exactly the same with or without your specs on, except of course for a clearer, sharper view.

wiz-king 16:59 19 Feb 05

I like the soft focus effect from not wearing my glasses. I think you have probably got a slight amount of astigmatism and your brain has been compensating for it for years now with your glasses it does not have to and things look bent. With the cost of glasses these days I would go back and ask - get your moneys worth.

Totally-braindead 18:47 19 Feb 05

Thanks for that I'll see how it goes over the weekend and give them a phone on Monday.

Diemmess 18:50 19 Feb 05

Some, well quite a lot of years ago, aged about 40 I had my first eye test.

A minor amount of magnification produced easier close-up work, but correcting the basic astigmatism worked wonders. Like you Totally-braindead, tables were a funny shape, rhomboid rather than rectangular, but the sensation passed in a few days as my brain adapted.

It was a few months later that I was prescribed driving glasses, and though the road didn't seem weird, the dry sore eyes after a long run disappeared for good.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:14 19 Feb 05

Me too, made me feel like I was 9' tall when I first started wearing them 15 years ago! Now if I go outside without them I feel about 4' 6". I have quite pronounced astigmatism and was aware of considerable distortion until I got used to glasses but now don't notice it, when wearing them.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:15 19 Feb 05

my glasses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…