Glare from driving into the Sun

jack 09:27 25 May 10

Three occasions this weekend past I have driven late afternoon/early evening from the East to the West with eh full sun into my eyes. A recent car change meant also a rather large/deep windscreen.
As the road twists and turns- so the sun would be hidden behind buildings/trees only to appear directly in front at the next bend- where I get total white out with loss of sight of the road ahead.
I wear the photochromic lens - which in fact do not work In a car because of U/V filter effect of the window glass.- I have anti glare coated specatle lens and also/installed one of the clip on tinted screens on the sun visor- sunglasses - all of which offer only partial relief.
So yesterday a trip to Specsavers, a test and and the conclusion - eyes are OK and the prescription is OK
Discussion then went onto suggestions-for a remedy - the practitioner thought perhaps a polarizing coating may be an answer.
However, and here comes the big question - the dispenser said that 'Polarizing' glasses are illegal for driving in.
Any opinions on that - the legality of Polarizing' glasses for driving - a new one on me
So far no real remedy to the driving into sun problem- for me.
Any experiences/suggestions please

johndrew 10:04 25 May 10

They may not look particularly trendy, but clip-on sunglasses which flip down over the existing spectacles do help a lot. You also have the option of tinted prescription lenses but these are a lot more expensive.

Polarized lenses are fine for daylight driving but not particularly good for night time so you may need two pairs!!

On deep windscreens I have seen tinted strips fitted across the inside top of glass, but this may defeat the object of having a large windscreen.

You may also find this interesting click here

Chris the Ancient 10:17 25 May 10

What an interesting thought/idea!

As a long-term spectacle wearer, I can relate with what you are saying.

As far as I know, I have never heard of polarising lenses being illegal. If they were, most of the sunglasses on the market would immediately be illegal! The law just says that if you need corrective lenses, you must wear them when driving. When I was a driving instructor, a lot of my pupils asked if they could wear sunglasses during the driving test, which they could. (They hoped that the examiner wouldn't be able to tell if they weren't using the mirrors - they could). The other (potential) side-effect of polarising lenses is that the differing layers in the construction of the windscreen could cause distracting patterns in the glass (remember in the old days when toughened glass was used instead of laminated - there were all sorts of patterns then.)

The best aid - not solution - is to have as few layers of interruption between the eyes and the road ahead as possible - and for those to be spotlessly clean. You can never nullify the problem - only reduce it. Make sure that the windscreen is spotlessly clean - both inside and out (it's surprising how much of a film can build up on the inside of a screen - even in a non-smoking car) and that any cleaner is really polished completely off.

The outside of a windscreen on a brand new car is always a superb finish, but over a period of time, microscopic chips and scratches will build up - it's inevitable. If your screen is quite old, you may be able to find a company that will re-polish it (usually with jewellers' rouge). Not cheap, but effective. The extreme way would be to end up with a broken screen, somehow, and get a new one on your car insurance. But that, of course, I could never recommend.

Bottom line is... you'll never cure that white-out; you just have to nullify as best as possible with minimum layers interrupting your vision and extremely vigilant cleanliness of the exiting ones.

wiz-king 10:19 25 May 10

Be careful buying polarised glasses, some cars windscreen have a polarising film on them and it makes seeing through the screen difficult. Also, some cars have polarised headlights and if you wear your polarised glasses you will have dificulties judging their distance at night.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:30 25 May 10

This is one of those times where you gets what you pay for...buy a pair of Ray-Bans, preferably aviators with mirror lenses. You will be able to drive with the sun directly in your eyes (they were developed in the 40s for that reason and for use by pilots). They are around the £120 but your life and that of others is worth far more. What many people do not know is that if you break them they will be replaced foc. I'm on my fourth pair in 15 years, the originals being purchased in the States and £8 a year for sunglasses with optically correct glass lenses is a good deal.

G

jack 17:45 25 May 10

Cthe A- Screen cleanliness is essential as you rightly point out and Saturdays trip was seemed to be particularly bad - a good clean inside and out made Sundays trip much better bill still an issue

Gandalf- Ahh Ray Bans - a name mentioned but not experienced - Had a Google- may well be a deeper look if the ordered spec's do not come up to scratch'

I also saw advertised on line anti glare glasses which appear to be simply amber tinted lens
Any experience with these?

Forum Editor 18:59 25 May 10

They have no equal in my opinion. Mine are Aviators, but not with mirror lenses (a little too posy for my liking).

Rayban Aviators were actually first developed in the 1930s for US Army Air Corps pilots - a classic example of something that was right first time.

You can get yours for £100 if you click here

Quickbeam 19:38 25 May 10

Or just don't look click here

ronalddonald 23:53 25 May 10

sunglasses ??

ronalddonald 23:54 25 May 10

go to primark and buy a cheap pair of sunglasses and use them instead of polars

BT 17:25 26 May 10

The best sunglasses I have come across for driving - and general use,are BluBlockers

click here

The amber tint improves contrast and enhances colours so traffic signals are perfectly visible. They come in polarised or not as you choose. I have two pairs, a polarised pair and a pair which I find I can wear over my prescription specs when driving.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced