Glad to report all went well

TOPCAT® 23:56 08 Nov 04

with Pat's surgery on the 18th of October and we finally returned home this afternoon. What was supposed to be four to five hours in theatre turned out to be nearly ten! This was the longest day of my life as I worried and waited for her to appear in the intensive care unit.

Her two operations - left carotid artery and triple heart bypass - became three, because they found her sternum (the breastbone which is cut through to access the heart) was unusually soft. So, to assist the stainless steel stapling that's used normally to hold the sternum together, they had to cut, realign and re fix her pectoral chest muscles. It was this necessity that took the extra hours and delayed her recovery until she was well enough to travel home today. Her open wound over the sternum will need dressing each day and the hope is infection will not occur and it will continue to close up naturally by itself.

So we are not out of the woods just yet and it befalls me and my immediate family, thankfully close by, to care for her and help speed her to a full recovery. This we will do without fail.

I must express here our undying gratitude and thanks to the wonderful teams at Harefield that perform these miracles of surgery nearly every day. They and their post-operative nursing staff are deserving of the highest praise and recognition of their dedication to humanity. They are truly magnificent people.

Our thanks go out once more to all you lovely people for your kind words and wishes. All I can say, after witnessing the traumatic events of the last month or so, is please look after your own health as best you can, because life is too precious to lose for the sake of a little thought and care.

Best wishes from us both - Pat and Ray

PS. I will close this 'update' soon as it now has nothing "loosely connected to computing" In the meantime, I thank the FE for allowing it to stay open for a short while. TC.

spuds 00:14 09 Nov 04

Good news and a full and sincere speedy recovery to you both.Some of us who have been on the operating table a number of times, can only image what thoughts are going through both of your minds at present,but relax,take things easy and all will be well.

ton 00:19 09 Nov 04

Glad to hear the news is good, my best wishes and hope it continues to be so.

Forum Editor 00:24 09 Nov 04

I was in Harefield village last week, and thought of you both. It's good to hear your positive news.

I'll certainly leave the thread open for you for a while - tick it when you're ready.

originalmiscellany 08:17 09 Nov 04

Although i don't know either of you, that's excellent news, and I hope to hear of a positive recovery to this major surgery

jack 08:41 09 Nov 04

So good to hear good news of our hospital services
for you two but also for all of us.

Just up the road to me the first PFI district hospital opened its doors for the first time
three years ago.
From day one the press were tearing it apart.
These good folk not only had to shut down 3 existing Victorian units, and move kit and patients, but carry on as if nothing had happened.
I was a wonder any thing worked, but it did,
and took 6 months to settle. I am in my old age
becoming a regular attender and it is bloody good.
j

no-name 09:18 09 Nov 04

TOPCAT® I only know of you through this site, but I wish your Pat a full and speedy recovery and I hope that you'll both have more than one thing to celebrate this Christmas.

watchful 10:07 09 Nov 04

Good news indeed.

My further good wishes for a continued, speedy recovery.

Djohn 14:57 09 Nov 04

Best wishes to you and your wife for a speedy recovery.

Smartfish 15:44 09 Nov 04

aahhh :-)

Take care

It's Me 15:55 09 Nov 04

Been wondering and not daring to mention it. Now wonderful news. Take care of you both.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…