Getting with the programme

Marko797 10:08 09 Feb 09

Are we in danger of losing this word Programme (& others) from the English language?

Seems ‘program’ is the word which we English are adopting more & more, which is an Americanised version of ‘programme’ (etymology from the Latin ‘Programma’).

I see TV Program, Program Manager, & Program of events, for example, being used quite widely, which suggests a degree of acceptance.

OK I can see some logic; it looks similar, it’s easier and less time consuming to write/ type etc, but then it all comes undone when we use a word like ‘programmer’, or ‘programmed’. There is no word ‘programer’ to my knowledge, and even if there was, correct English pronunciation would be ‘prograymer’ as opposed to ‘programmer’.

I’ve noticed some forum members using ‘program’ too, and just wondered if we are slowly but surely losing this word to either poor education, laziness, or gradual adoption of Americanisms?

Another one which springs to mind is ‘advisor’.

Surely this is ‘adviser’ & therefore PC Adviser?

I noticed that when I check UK Thesaurus on ‘advisor’, it isn’t listed as a UK word, and similarly within the dictionary it isn’t there, but ‘adviser’ is.

However, in Encarta World dictionary it says “Both spellings are used for 'somebody who gives advice'. Adviser is often regarded as more correct because -er is the more usual suffix for words formed directly from other English words. Advisor is common in American English and is probably influenced by the form of the adjective advisory or the spelling of Latin advisor.

I realise that any language continually develops over time, but it strikes me that we are suffering from more & more cross-Atlantic imports.

Any others that you've noticed creeping in?

ened 10:29 09 Feb 09

Why do I have to live in the UK?

What is wrong with Great Britain?

Why can't I say I live in England?

ened 10:30 09 Feb 09

While you're on the subject

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:31 09 Feb 09

Language constantly evolves and you would find difficulty in reading 16th century English and find it nigh impossible to read 12th century English or pre-9th century English. The 'English' that we speak now is not actually correct as it has been heavily diluted by French, Latin and German...this first sentence from Beowulf is 'proper' English...'hwæt we gar-dena in geardagum, þeodcyninga þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon'.

This linguistic evolution has nothing to do with poor education but more to do with people moving on and not clinging to the past.

G

Marko797 10:46 09 Feb 09

couldn't make sense (naturally) of the 'proper' English from Beowulf, lol. Yes, I understand that we have imports from a wide variety of countries, like you provided (French/German etc, & that it flows the other way too), and that this is how languages in general develop as something like a cross-fertilisation process. We do however seem to be inundated with Americanisms.

I guess I was just curious how a school child deals with all this change (especially with the US imports) and how he/she knows what is correct/incorrect/acceptable from an English point of view. Must be confusing for them.

It wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility, for example, that some English children would think 'center' is the correct way that we English spell centre, or 'color' instead of colour.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:50 09 Feb 09

'We do however seem to be inundated with Americanisms'.....IIRC over 40% of our words derive from Latin; curse those pesky Romans and as far as I'm concerned they can Vescere bracis meis.

G

newman35 12:04 09 Feb 09

When Rome was the 'strong' leader, nations accepted and adopted their words, the situation now is that the US 'leads' the world and has high output of literature, TV etc and so, naturally, much rubs off onto others, particularly ourselves who are 'separated by a common language'. (;-)

spuds 12:15 09 Feb 09

Hope this thread doesn't turn out to be another one of those PCA 'correct' grammar lessons :O)

I do know that the spell checker on this computer gets very confused at times!.

Getting a bit tyred, so I think I will have a rest, and see later developments.

Esc4p3 12:31 09 Feb 09

Sorry, a bit off topic, but I had to look up what Gandalf <|:-)> said and found a good set of latin insults click here

/on topic

sunnystaines 14:33 09 Feb 09

just look at canada everything is in dual language. In this modern age you would have thought they would have converted to english in the Quebec area.

wee eddie 14:38 09 Feb 09

I think that a little more thought is needed.

You buy a Programme in the Theatre

You buy a Program from Microsoft.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…