Get ready for the biggest change ever online.

spikeychris 18:51 27 Sep 06

When Google released Google earth had they already realised the mind blowing possibilities it will soon offer? When technology allows, we will be able to see the entire planet in glorious detail, this blows my over active mind. I can see companies advertising on their factory roofs, subliminal messages being left all over the world for all to see.

You could rant and rave what you want, you could tell tails on your friends, knowing it could be a couple of years before new images are uploaded. Political nutters will be able to spout what ever they want – it’s their roof, they own it. Its not in public view, should they be forced to remove such statements?

Sunbathers of the world beware, you have already been spotted (link removed for the sensitive) I am so looking forward to this as it’s a real hot potato and its been a while since the net has had one, just imagine having to monitor and control what could be the worlds biggest free advertisement, ranting, anything goes space.

What legal right does the person viewing Google maps have? Will sunbathing in the buff in your own back garden turn into a crime? Cat burglars could be caught in the act a year or two down the line – in fact lots of crime could have been snapped and later analysed. You think CCTV has changed the world and reduced crime, just wait for the next chapter!

Now tell me that’s not an interesting future?

spikeychris – on this way up a pair of ladders with a big “HELLO MUM” sheet.

Forum Editor 19:32 27 Sep 06

On the face of it the implications of everyone having access to regularly-updated high-res satellite images of virtually every square inch of the planet (minus sensitive areas and uninhabited wilderness) are extremely interesting, although I doubt that we would see the wholesale exploitation that you envisage.

We're not permitted access to the full-blown, military-strength imagery, and probably never will be. We don't even see the latest images - most of the stuff on Google earth was captured yonks ago. My driveway contains a car I part-exchanged over a year ago, for instance.

As far as legal rights go, in your nude-sunbather role you don't have any - you haven't been specifically targeted as the object of the image, and you don't have the right to say "I don't want to be included in any satellite images" - any more than you can ask not to be photographed by a CCTV security camera. It's totally impossible for anyone to exclude a named individual from such imaging technologies, so we all have to put up with it.

Publication of the images is also something you have no control over. The person/organisation who/which captured the image has copyright, and may publish at will, provided there's no infringement of decency laws. An aircraft may fly over your house on a summer's day and photograph you sunbathing on your lawn - there's nothing you can do about it, unless you can demonstrate that a specific and deliberate intrusion on your privacy was intended by the photographer. Just before the end of the 20th century a private company photographed about 85% of the UK from the air, as part of a project to produce what was named "The Millennium map". The resulting images are so detailed that it's possible to see a 25cm object on the ground. Lots of the images must show us enjoying the countryside in the fine summer weather, and some of them will undoubtedly show some of us enjoying each other in the countryside, if you follow my meaning. These images won't ever be published of course.

The question of people taking advantage of satellite imaging for commercial purposes is an interesting one, but I doubt it would be that easy - in most developed countries the relevant authorities would be onto that kind of thing pretty quickly, and advertisements would be removed - the UK planning authorities would soon ensure that we added the necessary clause to the planning laws.

spikeychris 19:37 27 Sep 06

Now don’t you go spoiling a perfectly good neo conspiracy thread with facts!

anskyber 20:01 27 Sep 06

"the UK planning authorities would soon ensure that we added the necessary clause to the planning laws."

I suppose I cannot resist this, even though I should. FE, it may be already covered if the advertisement is considered to be "visible from a public place"

Finally, just a point of detail, other than in limited cases of areas of special control (so pompous is it not) the changes to the legislation would be made by the relevant Secretary of State. ( just in case you meant the local councils are responsible for it in your comment) You may have meant that the councils would lobby for such control, if so, then yes you are in all probability correct, they are like that in their behaviour.

I cannot understand why I even bothered to comment at all, sad really.

Forum Editor 23:16 27 Sep 06

"sad really".

Why? I think your comment was spot on - and you're right, local authority planing departments would press for (and get) the power to ban advertisements that were painted onto the roofs of buildings in this way.

Imagine flying into any one of our major cities and seeing rooftops plastered with advertising signs - I can think of nothing worse. People often criticise local authority planing departments for what they see as unnecessary meddling, but we're lucky. In some other countries planning controls are lax, and I've seen the results - advertising hoardings all over almost every building, neon everywhere. We should be grateful for our planning laws, even if at times they seem to stifle innovation and imagination.

Stuartli 23:45 27 Sep 06

Google Earth pix of my area are at least five years old judging by the cars on mine and neighbours' driveways or on the road...:-)

Field Division 23:58 27 Sep 06

Yer my pic got a horse and cart outside my home

Sethhaniel 09:26 28 Sep 06

probably Google have a whole department with a team franticlly airbrushing certain areas out of the photos

as in Windows.live.local click here

Pidder 10:11 28 Sep 06

I have long wondered what right aircraft have to overfly my house. I own the freehold of the land presumably upwards to infinity, yet we lie under a flightpath of criss-crossing routes, judging by vapour trails on a still day. No one seeks my permission to use my air-space.

spikeychris 10:37 28 Sep 06

Start sending the aircraft congestion charges every time then enter your air space.

anskyber 17:09 28 Sep 06

It seems that in certain circumstances "trespass" can occur within an individuals airspace. My understanding is the circumstances are limited and there has to be an intent to trespass and cause "harm".

Classically this can occur where a neighbour builds or fits something (eg a large air extract fan or ducting something like that) within the air space.

I understand that aircraft at normal operating heights are not regarded as trespass. It would be fun if we could charge though!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009