The Generals and the BNP

morddwyd 08:30 22 Oct 09

One reason why the military mind is not suited to politics.

click here

I wonder how much the BNP would have had to dip into their election fund if they had had to pay for this level of advertising?

Was it Margaret Thatcher who talked about "the oxygen of publicity" when referring to another bunch of extremists?

badgery 09:31 22 Oct 09

Brilliant first paragraph, agreed with the rest as well.

donki 10:17 22 Oct 09

While I agree with your comments regarding the BNP I feel comparing them to what Sinn Fein was back in Thatcher's day is harsh.

donki 10:57 22 Oct 09

Apologies, it just seemed you were using Sinn Fein as an example of a similar situation to the BNP.

Sinn Fein was a terrorist organisagion back in Thather's day and I believe that is why they were silenced, wheather it worked or not isn't relevant. Is it correct then that Muslim extremests shouldn't be silenced? I am not starting an arguement just intrested to see how far people think freedom of speech should be allowed to go.

ened 11:19 22 Oct 09

I agree Thatcher was wrong to silence Sinn Fein (especially when we still heard the likes of Adams through an 'interpretor')It is far better to let them hear and be heard.

So long as it is not directed at somebody in an agressive manner people should be able to say what they want.

There is far too much pussy-footing around and people have become afraid to open their mouths.

It will be up to the other members of the panel this evening to destroy Griffin's arguments.

Although if I was him I would concentrate on his populist opinions, such as those on immigration, and steer away from his extremist views.

carver 11:53 22 Oct 09

As much as I hate the BNP I will enjoy watching Question Time tonight, they are a blight on the face of this country but at the same time a much needed insight into how some people will react when faced with political party's that just ignore issues.

How can have an organisation that is called "Federation for Black Police Officers" but at the same time you can't have "Federation for White police officers" it's these sort of things that the BNP are feeding on, they feed on peoples fear and the more people call for them to be banned the stronger they get.

The problem is that at this moment they seem to be the only party who will stand up and say things that other political party's are to scared to air in case they are branded racist.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:59 22 Oct 09

5 points...

1) the BNP are a legitimate party, consequently they have a right to speak and be questioned. I think Mandelson is infinitely worse than the BNP but I will defend his right to free speech Freedom of speech and democracy are tied in here but always be careful what you wish for. You either have freedom of speech or you do not, there is no middle-ground.
2) to his credit, Griffin tends to answer questions more directly than most other politicians(who would even answer 'what day is today with prevaricating) even if you do not like the answers.
3) I would hazard a guess that most people that rant on about the BNP have never heard them speak at length or read their policies...tonight might redress that omission and they might be able to comment without relying on heresay that tends to be slightly inaccurate.
4) the BNP tend to focus on issues that strike a chord with many people. Rightly or wrongly the other political parties should take note of this especially as Brown has stated that he wants 'british jobs for British people' 'click here which is not a million miles away from the BNP's stance.
5) If I was a leader of a political party or in total opposition to the BNP, I would not be tiresomely ranting and raving, spouting homilies etc., but I would be trying to work out why they get the support that they do. Answer that and you will begin to understand the hopes, fears and beliefs of the people who you serve.

egapup 18:59 22 Oct 09

Right on the button.

Forum Editor 19:14 22 Oct 09

He has heard his name being read out in pretty well every news bulletin throughout the day, and he's been accorded that rare privilege of being smuggled in to the BBC centre by the back door to avoid the mob at the gate.

No amount of expensive PR expertise could have produced such media exposure.

Griffin has confidently announced that after tonight's live broadcast the BNP will 'move up into the big-time', and no doubt there are many people who, like him, hope it happens. Far right political movements traditionally gain support when people feel the barbarians are at the gates, and lots of British citizens undoubtedly think that way at the moment. They have the feeling that it's all going wrong, and (predictably) they can't accept that they might be in any way responsible. They want someone else to shoulder the blame, and lo and behold! There's the BNP, ready and waiting to tell them that if only we hadn't lost that cuddly old 'let's have a cuppa tea and some egg and chips' British society all would be well.

Mr. Jones would walk up his front path, smoking his pipe, and Mrs; Jones would greet him at the door with 'Hello darling, supper's almost ready, would you like a light ale before we eat?'

Spitfires would be zooming overhead, the village hall would be full of people waiting for the marrow judging to start, and the kids would be looking forward to their cup of Horlicks while they bone up on their I-Spy book of the seaside.

There wouldn't be a black face in sight, and anyone who didn't have a British name would be referred to as 'that foreigner at number 47'.Nick Griffin will lead us all onto those sunlit uplands of which Churchill spoke.

That's how the BNP wants us to think about - a ludicrous, half-baked picture of a life that has gone forever, and can never be regained. Our world has changed dramatically, and it will carry on changing; you can't set a country and its society in amber. Nick Griffin hasn't got the answers - he's part of the problem, but he'll convince quite a few gullible people tonight, if I'm any judge.

spuds 19:21 22 Oct 09

And that is the big problem with British politics today. The 'regular' parties have disowned the public, and public views. The BNP are a legitimate (at present) party, and some of their views are perhaps in the thoughts of the electorate, which the present politicians are ignoring.

When we had Jenkins and his fellow politicians who formed a new party, many people thought this was the new horizon. But it all turned out to be a case of not being able to teach an old dog new tricks. The same could be possibly stated about UKIP!.

Flak999 19:32 22 Oct 09

"Mr. Jones would walk up his front path, smoking his pipe, and Mrs; Jones would greet him at the door with 'Hello darling, supper's almost ready, would you like a light ale before we eat?'

Spitfires would be zooming overhead, the village hall would be full of people waiting for the marrow judging to start, and the kids would be looking forward to their cup of Horlicks while they bone up on their I-Spy book of the seaside."

If it only it could be so again! ;)

I am looking forward to tonights debate, its a bit like Romans at the Colosseum waiting to see Christians being thrown to the lions!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac