The GBBO is moving to BBC1

fourm member 10:29 17 Oct 13

I'm not doubting the BBC when it says that moving 'The Great British Bake Off' to BBC1 will increase its audience but I do think it is very disappointing.

I was working it out. I won a British Satellite Broadcasting (BSB) system in a launch competition in 1990 so I've had multichannel TV for 23 years. Since then almost everyone has gained access to it.

It is increasingly difficult to believe that people who only watch BBC1 don't know there are other channels or can't work a remote control.

My disappointment is because, it seems to me, there's a huge amount of prejudice at work. People (enough to make it worth moving a programme to a different channel) assume that BBC2 is not for them. 'I never watch BBC2, it's all serious stuff/documentaries/high-faluting.'

If people are so set in their ideas that they won't switch channel to watch a programme that gets a lot of media coverage what else are they close-minded to?

Are we really that conservative (small c)?

HondaMan 10:48 17 Oct 13

For once, I agree

Pine Man 11:00 17 Oct 13

fourm member

they won't switch channel to watch a programme

Surely you are, effectively, as bad? So it's moving to BBC1 what's the issue? Still the same program but on a different channel. I have watched programs like QI on BBC and now I watch them on Dave. No great hardship.

Mr Mistoffelees 11:57 17 Oct 13

Well, I don't watch 'The Great British Bake Off' on BBC2 and I won't be watching it on BBC1, or any other channel it ends up being repeated on.

Aitchbee 12:29 17 Oct 13

With the 'glut' of cookery programs on the BEEB [ saturday mornings especially ], I would like to see a new one minute 'slot' devoted to the lost arts of dishwashing and cutlery management [hints 'n' tips etc], preferrably presented by some bigname presenter like Brucie or the nice Rachel Riley ... from Countdown, interspersed accordingly!

fourm member 12:34 17 Oct 13

Pine Man

'So it's moving to BBC1 what's the issue?'

The 'issue' is that it seems to demonstrate a deep conservatism in our society.

If people won't watch a programme on BBC2 but will watch it if it is on BBC1 that suggests those people are very fixed in their views.

Society can only progress if people are willing to evaluate and adopt new ideas. The BBC wouldn't be moving it to get an extra 10 viewers. That suggests to me a fairly large proportion of people are set in their ways.

wee eddie 13:29 17 Oct 13

fourm member: I've just turned the numbers around.

If people won't watch a programme on BBC1 but will watch it if it is on BBC2 that suggests those people are very fixed in their views.

Inverted snobbery!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:03 17 Oct 13

My mother in her eighties never bothers to watch or even look for any programs that are not on the first 4 channels.

She enjoys the usual "soaps" and F1 but can't seem to grasp the concept of the +1 channels or watching the F1 qualifying on chs 301/2 rather than be stuck with when its shown on BBC1.

She has a VHS recorder that I know has probably only been used a couple of times in its life and not for the last 8yrs

Might as well forget about PVR even though her Flat Screen TV will record to USB :0)

Quickbeam 16:21 17 Oct 13

BBC 4 is the new high brow...

Quickbeam 16:56 17 Oct 13

And BBC 3is I'm the stratosphere.

Forum Editor 18:12 17 Oct 13

"If people are so set in their ideas that they won't switch channel to watch a programme that gets a lot of media coverage what else are they close-minded to?"

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment underlying your question. A recent survey concluded that levels of literacy and numeracy in large numbers of British school leavers were among the lowest in the developed world.

I've had many conversations with people about TV programmes, in the course of which, when I mentioned BBC2 I got the response 'Oh, I never watch BBC2'.

That's why the BBC has decided to move GBBO (one of the best programmes on TV in my opinion) to BBC1. They are chasing the 'biggest prime time audience' crown, and they may well get it. On the other hand, they may find that the core audience begins to decide that it's had enough of Paul Hollywood smirking at attractive contestants, and move on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017